Most Effective Self Propelled Gun?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by 155_PinkMist, Jan 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey lads, What do you guys believe is the most effective SP 155mm gun?

I know the AS90 is a hell of a bit of kit,
    But What about the Paladin, South African G6, German k9 etc. How do they all match up?

2. Paladin = messed about 109

G6 = Over engineered beast, we sat 97 Bty with AS90 next to an Omani G6 Bty during a firepower demo Ex SS 01, the AS90 hammered them

PzH 2000 = over weight, over complicated and if it’s such a good gun why have the Dutch just got rid of theirs?

As 90 by far the best, Crusader would have been better but the Yanks cancelled it

3. Bring back the Abbot i say... :roll:

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye, but that was the Omanis.

The SADF gunners were quite handy with them, and thirty-nine kilometeres is a decent distance to drop your calling card.

For speed and off-road mvmt they're hard to beat.
    The G5 uses the same tube, but while it can trundle happilly around with its wee trail engine it isn't an SP gun.

5. Pz200 = wearing protective overboots so cr&p doesn't get into the magazine which is below the floor! Not really bunny safe.

AS90 works and does exactly what is says on the tin if you have good crews!

GBTD (after Christmas enforced absence!)

6. I pull up a sandbag a reminisce with reverence about the M107 beloved of the traditional 'Heavy' Regiment... Sigh....

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As an ex grunt I was chatting to an ex reme instrument tech at work and recalling being fired into B range at Sennelager by a troop of abbots, he replied you old git you'll tell me you wore puttees next sadly I did!