Most desirable RAC regiment?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by hrwilliams_wales, Apr 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am considering joining an RAC regiment but am undecided on which one. While i appreciate the need for posh p*icks i would like very much to avoid to much contact with them being of the inclination that we do not need the bastards. Any advice on regiment ethos, standards , deployments etc would be much appreciated!

2. 2RTR then if you don't want "posh p*icks" or very little of them

3. Lets just say, the reformed 3rd will do! :wink:

4. Who is RSM these days? Mr Ski?

5. The best retained regiment, the most travelled regt since the cold war ended, the regt with the most options, the first of track. 1 RTR is the way to go.

6. If you could qualify,the Armoured Engineers might look at you.

7. Thanks for the info guys. Many have told me to join the QDG due to the high proportion of welsh men but i dont know if this is a good thing or not. Have the QDG got a good reputation as a regiment? cheers

8. Why join anybody else when you can join the QDG !!!!!

This thread should tell you alot! :D there my local (hereford) RAC regiment although they never get much of mention in any of the local press or afco.

a quick shufti around various websites (army, qdg regimental) will show you that these guys have been involved in bucket loads of ops over the years, and have an excelent rep.

But go on some visits and get a feel for the unit before you sign the dotted line.
    (This IS the advice that you'll see repeated a thousand times in these forums.)

9. Well said Tiny,

There are a lot of very good unit's out there, but if you can or have to choose. 1 RTR is the best, and with the CBRN role, should ensure that you don't miss out on anything that may or may not happen in the future.

Good luck.

Toe.

10. Can i just ask quickly if the Kings royal hussars are any good as a regiment within the parameters of operational effectiveness and atmostphere? I'm aiming to be an royal engineer but thinking that i should have other options and i am currently looking at one of the armoured regiments.

11. QDG's are fine mate but they are cavalry and as a result you will come into contact with a load of posh baskets,

If you want to stay away from that, join one of the RTR regiments. Same job, different people. "Chav Cav" we call them.

12. In reality all regiments are equally as good. Just be sure you want to be on main battle tanks, if not then you might want to look at a recce regiment.

13. better by far a queens royal hussar...

14. hrwilliams_wales............as one old statesman once said..........dont ask what your country can do for you, what can you do for your country ? (open to exact phrase analysis, but close ?).........QDG...top bunch of blokes, slack discipline, laid-back attitude, good on sport, drinking and from time to time, when forced, can do the army thing too......there you go, get in there butty.

15. Dont do RTR matey, if you know the Gurnos and if you know Mayfair............thats the difference !