Most beautiful/ugly AFV?

Ours had a rubber gizmo that fitted over the canister and the hose connected to that, S6 & S10
:)That may have been it, as thinking about it I can’t remember screwing the hose into the respirator, must have been as you say.
In CVRT, is what you described in your explanation MrP, we had a hose that looked like a vacuum cleaner hose that clipped onto the NBC Crew station pipe and onto the respirator after removing the canister.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Good to see, it will be interesting how long the natty paint job on the exhausts lasts once the fire it up and do a bit of driving.

Not long is the consensus

tempImage9PnOyM.jpg

Rear view of 'our' Mk12 after it had done a few circuits around Capel Military Show in September - the exhausts aren't too badly 'burnt' yet (it'd had a fresh paint job for the event and was awarded a 'best in show' thing. As you can see, 'my' FV432 hasn't yet received a paint job as there is some re-welding needed on the track guards, so no point in that until we've ground the old studs down and sorted that out.

View attachment 628744
Rear view of 'our' Mk12 after it had done a few circuits around Capel Military Show in September - the exhausts aren't too badly 'burnt' yet (it'd had a fresh paint job for the event and was awarded a 'best in show' thing. As you can see, 'my' FV432 hasn't yet received a paint job as there is some re-welding needed on the track guards, so no point in that until we've ground the old studs down and sorted that out.
Any idea on the history of your Cent???

Any idea on the history of your Cent???
Only what Merlin Archive tells me - the owner may know more as he might have the full service documentation. It was in service in 1955, but the archive information is then a blank until 1988 as follows:
08-Nov-1988 VEHICLE DEPOT LUDGERSHALL
07-Jul-1992 17/21L
19-Jul-1992 VEHICLE DEPOT LUDGERSHALL
21-Sep-1993 DISPOSAL VDL
Date Not Recorded QMT BOVINGTON ARMOUR CENTRE
Curious as to why it was at 17/12 Lancers for 12 days in 1992 - was that when they disbanded/amalgamated? Looks like it would be for a parade/event etc

Only what Merlin Archive tells me - the owner may know more as he might have the full service documentation. It was in service in 1955, but the archive information is then a blank until 1988 as follows:
07-Jul-1992 17/21L
21-Sep-1993 DISPOSAL VDL
Curious as to why it was at 17/12 Lancers for 12 days in 1992 - was that when they disbanded/amalgamated? Looks like it would be for a parade/event etc
Being nosey really, on the rear there’s the RAC tac sign, it’s got a “2” on it. 2RTR used to do this in the 50s and 60s.

exspy

LE
Being nosey really, on the rear there’s the RAC tac sign, it’s got a “2” on it. 2RTR used to do this in the 50s and 60s.

An armoured arm-of-service insignia with a white serial '2' on it was the tactical sign for an armoured regiment in an infantry brigade group, in this case the Berlin Brigade.

Next time I go down for a maintenance weekend (probably early April) I'll ask the owner about the markings
The only thing that won't be gen is the name I suspect - Waterloo, as we tell a bit of a tale involving this sabre..
tempImageKiuJAl.jpg

tempImageOn0goU.jpg

Anyone here from a unit tracing it's history back to the Royal Dragoons - that's a Heavy Pattern Cavalry sabre recovered from the battlefield and reissued (hence the overscored markings) - we use it to illustrate the failure of command & control - and it's pretty cool to show visitors and allow them to handle a bit of history.

Next time I go down for a maintenance weekend (probably early April) I'll ask the owner about the markings
The only thing that won't be gen is the name I suspect - Waterloo, as we tell a bit of a tale involving this sabre.. View attachment 629109

View attachment 629110
Anyone here from a unit tracing it's history back to the Royal Dragoons - that's a Heavy Pattern Cavalry sabre recovered from the battlefield and reissued (hence the overscored markings) - we use it to illustrate the failure of command & control - and it's pretty cool to show visitors and allow them to handle a bit of history.
Are we talking English Civil War here?

Are we talking English Civil War here?
Waterloo (and the sabre was probably used in the Peninsular Campaign as well as the RD's were there as well - the markings on the scabbard have been ground down and remarked - so probably re-issued previous to Waterloo. Sadly the RD's didn't record who was issued what sabre (unlike the Greys) so the owner hasn't been able to track down who it probably belonged to at the time.

Waterloo (and the sabre was probably used in the Peninsular Campaign as well as the RD's were there as well - the markings on the scabbard have been ground down and remarked - so probably re-issued previous to Waterloo. Sadly the RD's didn't record who was issued what sabre (unlike the Greys) so the owner hasn't been able to track down who it probably belonged to at the time.
So it was a general issue one then, given to the hoypaloy?

Always liked the look of the Marder IFV myself.

1040191E-0EE0-455B-993E-59F9FEAC76F0.jpeg

07-Jul-1992 17/21L
21-Sep-1993 DISPOSAL VDL
We had our Amalgamation Parade at Perham Down, We borrowed a few old vehicles from Ludgershall Depot, which was a couple of fields away, for a week or so.

Always thought the same thing and used to think it was ahead of it's time .
Same here. The design is 50+ years old IIRC and it is still more heavily armed than the ARES - .50 HMG compared to 20mm cannon, 7.62mm MG and a Milan launcher.

Latest Threads