Most beautiful/ugly AFV?

Londo

LE
I do not it was not "gas-tight", that is it did not provide protection in an NBC environment. I do not how practical it would be for a Sabre crew to have to wear full NBC kit, inside the vehicle ?!
As good a reason as any . Thank you .
Still reckon it could have gone to home defence Yeomanry units instead of the Land Rovers they had .
I know at some earlier stage some Yeomanry Regiments had Fox .

Interestingly though it does seem to be the most common CVTR vehicle preserved in private hands and museums .

Chef

LE
As good a reason as any . Thank you .
Still reckon it could have gone to home defence Yeomanry units instead of the Land Rovers they had .
I know at some earlier stage some Yeomanry Regiments had Fox .

Interestingly though it does seem to be the most common CVTR vehicle preserved in private hands and museums .
Both the RY and QOY had Fox with CVRT for SHQ, LAD and in our case we had Spartan for the assault tp.

When RY went over to NBC we lost the tracks and got Fuchs and Saxon for a bit.

Interesting factoid: The Duke of Westminster, who wasn't in the Westminster Dragoons chiz chiz, offered to equip a Tp of QOY with Scorpions. (He wasn't short of a bob or two) The MOD said that was fine but they'd have to be spread out among the Sqns. He withdrew the offer. So a chance to revive the tradition of colonels equipping their own regts was lost.

Along with a return to purchasing commissions:cry:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Both the RY and QOY had Fox with CVRT for SHQ, LAD and in our case we had Spartan for the assault tp.

When RY went over to NBC we lost the tracks and got Fuchs and Saxon for a bit.

Interesting factoid: The Duke of Westminster, who wasn't in the Westminster Dragoons chiz chiz, offered to equip a Tp of QOY with Scorpions. (He wasn't short of a bob or two) The MOD said that was fine but they'd have to be spread out among the Sqns. He withdrew the offer. So a chance to revive the tradition of colonels equipping their own regts was lost.

Along with a return to purchasing commissions:cry:
A man who genuinely had the military’s well-being close to his heart. RIP.

Londo

LE
ooH! ooH! lOVE THEHANGMANS ROPE SLUNG ORF THE TURRET --- SURE FIRE KILLER THAT BIT OF KIT
There was similar on the other side of the turret as well . They were there to stop the turret swinging round , unscrewing and falling off :-D

The hybrid vehicle was known as the Sabre , didn't stay in service long . No idea why .
Thanks for that, racking my brain to remember that. The Aussies through their experience in Vietnam nick the turret off their Saracen and mounted them on their M113 to create a Fire Support Vehicle, later fitting the CVRT Scorpion turret.
From what I’ve been told, they were new build turrets ordered from Alvis with the 76mm as well.
D231A93B-A787-4517-A4E1-833E9E8A10C3.jpeg
413C40C8-1C04-4C5C-A88B-799DE32B316C.jpeg

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks for that, racking my brain to remember that. The Aussies through their experience in Vietnam nick the turret off their Saracen and mounted them on their M113 to create a Fire Support Vehicle, later fitting the CVRT Scorpion turret.
From what I’ve been told, they were new build turrets ordered from Alvis with the 76mm as well.View attachment 627437View attachment 627438

It does have an arse-end oif the outback utilitarian chic about it.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

Londo

LE
From what I’ve been told, they were new build turrets ordered from Alvis with the 76mm as well.View attachment 627437View attachment 627438
We had similar with a Fox turret on a 432 hull . 30mm rather than 76mm though
Only 14 built with the bulk going to the Berlin Brigade .
There are arrsers on site that served in them .

We had similar with a Fox turret on a 432 hull . 30mm rather than 76mm though
Only 14 built with the bulk going to the Berlin Brigade .
There are arrsers on site that served in them .
Most were grabbed by that bloke out Northamptonshire way Tanks are Us, he use’s them for tank paintballing.

Boxy

GCM
The hybrid vehicle was known as the Sabre , didn't stay in service long . No idea why .
Because it was terrible, imagine the lack of stowage there is in a Scimitar turret, then half it… best thing about it was it had an extractor fan above the Co-ax, in the Sabres case a chain gun.

I think the real reason was the dieselisation (?) of the fleet as that’s when we lost ours for Scimitars

Boxy

GCM
I do know it was not "gas-tight", that is it did not provide protection in an NBC environment. I do not how practical it would be for a Sabre crew to have to wear full NBC kit, inside the vehicle ?!
In my experience none of the CVRs where gas tight and we were always in full kit when playing the CBRN game

Londo

LE
Most were grabbed by that bloke out Northamptonshire way Tanks are Us, he use’s them for tank paintballing.
I think he also built a few more of the paintballing ones from some 432 odds and sods .

Londo

LE
Because it was terrible, imagine the lack of stowage there is in a Scimitar turret, then half it… best thing about it was it had an extractor fan above the Co-ax, in the Sabres case a chain gun.

I think the real reason was the dieselisation (?) of the fleet as that’s when we lost ours for Scimitars
Dieselisation seems as good a reason as any . I seem to remember the cost to convert civvy Sabres was £30,000 and that was a few years back .
Lack of stowage would have been a factor too .

Still think they should have kept them fore home defence units though .

Oh I remember driving around Saltou plugged into the NBC system and even in winter sweat your bollocks in those poxy charcoal suits.!!!
"plugged into the NBC system" . . . can you explain that, please?

Last edited:
"plugged into the NBC system" . . . can you explain that, please ?
Forced air system where air was drawn through the NBC pack, passed to each crew station via trunking where a tube would pass filtered air to each crewman directly to their respirator having removed their canister. Supposed to reduce fatigue as you did not have to pull air through the canister.

Boxy

GCM
Forced air system where air was drawn through the NBC pack, passed to each crew station via trunking where a tube would pass filtered air to each crewman directly to their respirator having removed their canister. Supposed to reduce fatigue as you did not have to pull air through the canister.
Ours had a rubber gizmo that fitted over the canister and the hose connected to that, S6 & S10