Most Beautiful (or Ugly) Spacecraft (Real or SciFi)?

Would have posted earlier, but I've been trying to find these.

The film Pitch Black starring Vin Diesel, it was filmed out in the Simpson Desert nr Coober Pedy Oz.
The company I worked for, transported all the props for filming.
IMG_20191126_180347.jpg
IMG_20191126_180500.jpg
IMG_20191126_180612.jpg
IMG_20191126_181051.jpg
IMG_20191126_180723.jpg
IMG_20191126_181309.jpg
IMG_20191126_181153.jpg
IMG_20191126_180931.jpg
IMG_20191126_181422.jpg

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I quite like the Semi hard Sci-fi (fnar fnar) Spaceship Rocinante of the Expanse.
My mate got me into this series over the summer, love it, and the Rocinante is a classic.

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I liked most of the Chris Foss SF covers...
In a similar vein, I love Peter Elson's covers. A lot of really bad science fiction books get sold purely on the basis of amazing cover art that tells another story entirely.

bb4335dbe500b4caf73286ec32473555.jpg

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Babel17_jpeg.jpg

This always reminded me of a blue stripey cow as a child...

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I liked most of the Chris Foss SF covers...
This was Foss's concept for the opening scene of Jodorovsky's 'Dune' film project, showing pirate craft attacking a spice tanker.

Never made, but there is a brilliant documentary about it all. The studios were scared of Jodorovsky and would not fund it on account of him being borderline mental. He loved 'Dune' despite having never read the book and wrote his own plot based loosely on the general idea. He had lined up Orson Wells, David Carradine and Mick Jagger to star in it, Chris Foss to design spacecraft and costumes, H.R. Giger to design the Harkonnen palace, and Dan O'Bannon (Alien) to write the script.

He cast his own teenage son to play Paul, and the poor kid spent several years in high-intensity martial arts training in readiness for the role before it got canned.
th.jpg

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The ornithopter from David Lynch's 'Dune' - clearly designed by someone in a hurry going through a bad divorce:

AtreidesFX.jpg

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I had the 1979 annual for Disney's 'The Black Hole' as a larva, and I always loved the 'Cygnus' although it clearly absorbed most of the special fx budget. There apparently wasn't much left over to design or build the other ship, the 'Palomino'.

Compare and contrast the steampunk gothic of the one, and the Blue Peter build quality of the other, which wouldn't even get on 'Fireball XL5'.

Actually seeing the film was a massive let-down, take away the visual effects and John Barry's soundtrack, and it's chad.
cygnus_1.jpg
untitled.png

Last edited:

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's my last day at work and the boss is out of office.

You are mining a rich seam there @Subsunk.

I must have several crates of SF books with Chris Foss covers.

He also did crap album covers as well as crap SF space opera.

4AA43123-FAFA-4E12-98DB-D221469A24DD.jpeg

Latest Threads