Most Beautiful (or Ugly) Spacecraft (Real or SciFi)?

Depends entirely upon where the object is fired, what direction, what speed and even composition. If we're talking about a battle in the near vicinity of a planet or its sun, then if the ammunition has less than local solar escape velocity then it will enter an elliptic solar-centric orbit. If not, then the star (and the planets plus other stuff in the solar system) will likely bend its trajectory anyway.

Once you start dealing with planetary and larger masses the pull may not feel that great, but it's there and will have a cumulative effect. The Earth's orbital velocity is about 67,000 mph (19 miles per second) and that is pretty much the same velocity that anything locked into Earth's orbit will have. Fight anywhere near a Jupiter size object (and we've detected bigger orbiting other stars), and the escape velocities start going up drastically. It might even become both a concern and a tactic ... ISTR reading this somewhere or other.

And that's assuming the ammunition is headed out-system - start firing it in-system and the game gets nicely complicated, especially when you take account of such things as metallic objects interacting with magnetic fields or solar heating causing the surface to start boiling off or even just differential temperature changes. I've written a couple of simulations to explore this kind of thing - ages ago, though, and I no longer have the source code. Having said that, it shouldn't be too hard to write one from scratch ... added to my exponentially increasing list of things to do!

Did someone say before you've far too much time on your hands?
:)

Bill and Ben? Fcku the pair of them, they both knew what they were getting into......
"Flobalob" said Bill.
"If you loved me, you'd swallow it" said Ben.

GreyArea

War Hero
Indeed, in a theoretical space battle the place to be is in front being chased, dropping what amounts to mines rather than missiles would be terrifically effective, especially if the chasers are travelling fast as their forward velocity adds appreciably to the effective energy of the mine. In the scenario you paint the bullets fired backwards are effectively mines as you counter the existing forward velocity they carry from your ship, added benefit they accelerate your ship a bit too of course. If your propulsion system uses high velocity particles then anyone chasing is effectively charging straight into a high energy barrage of course.
"In an inertial frame of reference, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force " :p :)

In Harrisons "Starworld" as I remeber it (and it's been a while) the space battle is one by firing what's effectively a machine gun barrage calculated to have the enemy fleet fly through it at a futire point in time...

If you haven't already read them I would definitely recommend taking a look at "The Forgotten Fleet" series written by Jack Campbell. There are several lengthy and well written space battles using kinetic weapons with detailed descriptions of how they are deployed and used in relation to battles fought in a 3D environment at percentage relativistic speeds.

If you haven't already read them I would definitely recommend taking a look at "The Forgotten Fleet" series written by Jack Campbell. There are several lengthy and well written space battles using kinetic weapons with detailed descriptions of how they are deployed and used in relation to battles fought in a 3D environment at percentage relativistic speeds.

Free to read for those of you with Kindle Unlimited

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
And yet oddly forgotten about when people complain about the lack of strong female characters.

Master bake Master bake
Serva Lan
Baste me a make
as fast as you can.

Last edited:
Master bake Master bake
Baster man
Baste me a make
as fast as you can.
Truer a word has never been spoken. :nod:

Change the second line to "Server, LAN" (a bit of maskirovka at play, in case anyone wonders)

Last edited:

Who'd hide from this today?
Battery operated, THREE phallic-centric shaped attachments. Things of that description are usually hidden under the settee, not behind it, but your point is taken.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone show this one yet?
et_bluray_spaceship_t.jpg

5de383f50ceea7bf46342e4a2507ce4a.jpg

Featuring the creature with a face like a friendly turd.....
e.t-the-extra-terrestrial.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Alternatively, there's the series based on the 1812 novel Swiss Family Robinson.....
wp2516777.jpg

jupiter-2.jpg

mind you, I wouldn't mind a crack at their Santa Claus...
b4d1f4241550c25e1ca352fd9d33bd22--lost-in-space-scifi.jpg

I used to have sticky dreams about her back in the sixties.

Latest Threads