Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Most Beautiful Aircraft

Correct.

There were just two, and upgrades to them about $10 million apiece. 'Combat Dragon II' was a program or Limited Objective Experiment to demonstrate the possible use of small, cheap (relatively) turboprop-powered aircraft in specific special combat circumstances. 'Imminent Fury' another such program that used an A-29B Super Tucano.

Supported by General McChrystal earlier in Afghanistan and later by General Mattis when these two aircraft were deployed to Syria, the idea was to promote inexpensive, simple, nimble combat aircraft capable of long loiter time for on-call reconnaissance and attack duty.

Capable of operating from rough strips, and able to deliver precision ordnance using the latest technology such as electro-optical and infrared sensors, laser-guided munitions like Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) II), a 70 millimeter rocket with a laser seeker and control section, encrypted radios and night-vision gear, data-links, multiple sat-com systems and defensive countermeasures. There were Scorpion helmet-mounted displays for both crew, and a centerline fuel tank giving them an average mission time of between three and four hours for the spec-op sorties they were tasked with supporting.

These two were involved in Inherent Resolve and proved to be deadly. Flying some 120 sorties over 82 days they had 99% mission availability. Their MX-15HD FLIR turret and big high-definition display in the cockpit made for highly accurate precision strike platforms and the laser-guided rockets could be fired from a variety of ranges and angles with the ability of take out enemy personnel or lightly armored vehicles under circumstances that no other guided munition could without significant collateral damage.

Their Navy pilots were hand picked weapons school instructors, the WSO’s (Weapon System Officers) with previous spec-ops JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controllers) experience. These highly experienced personnel had unique insight into spec-ops ground operations and most appropriate application air power to get specific results. With just a single ground engineer for each aircraft, ability to self deploy to bare bones facilities at a moments notice they had unparralelled operational flexibility.

Proof of concept vehicles that ticked many boxes and available at the right time, it was a seriously successful swan-song for a fairly iconic aircraft that I first saw in the US when I went there just after the end of the Vienam war.

I know and I’ve always like the Bronco.

However, you can upgrade aircraft such as these as much as you want. However, they can’t operate where the Syrians and Russian SAMs and fighters were. The A-10 was also limited what airspace it could operate in (as it was in GW1 and the Balkans) for similar reasons.

I would agree however that in many respects, an upgraded OV-10 would be of more use than the AT-6C and Super Tucanos being evaluated for the Light Attack requirement.

Regards,
MM

a few shots from Eastbourne from the other year -
108 DSC_4351.jpg

107 DSC_4350.jpg
101 DSC_4322.jpg

In the early 90's I'd watch the SEALs train jumping from OV-10s around the Otay Mesa area east of San Diego. The Bronco would come in level then go into a steep climb and then 4 SEALs came out the back. The sound that plane makes on the climb is distinct and very noticeable.

In the early 90's I'd watch the SEALs train jumping from OV-10s around the Otay Mesa area east of San Diego. The Bronco would come in level then go into a steep climb and then 4 SEALs came out the back. The sound that plane makes on the climb is distinct and very noticeable.
How did they get out the back? There doesn't look to be much room.

Marine Recon aso used them for training. Knew a couple of the embassy guards in SA who did that and showed me some pics. Looks like great fun and probably a good way to insert small teams very quickly.

5157c09d0059e2c2ebbb78aae5a78c2f.jpg

Bronco%202.png

I think they can get five jumpers in there without kit and four with light webbing and rifles.

That rear bay always seems full of possibilities. Extra loiter tank and some elint/surveillance gear and you have the perfect anti piracy machine operating rotating patrols off a carrier or shore bases. Alternatively a maritime patrol DHC6 or two to spot the targets and a pair of OV10 on standby to interdict, with another pair on standby and a fifth to rotate out for maintenance, would be able to cover a large area. Not impossible to operate off an old carrier or keep a new one occupied until the F-35s show up - jus' sayin'.

Marine Recon aso used them for training. Knew a couple of the embassy guards in SA who did that and showed me some pics. Looks like great fun and probably a good way to insert small teams very quickly.

I think they can get five jumpers in there without kit and four with light webbing and rifles.
With its STOL capability, could extract them from roads as well, if neeeds be
Harrison wrote about it in Lonely Kind of War.

Ja, you'd need a fair bit of road. Not that STOL TBQH.

Same as folks thinking the C208 is a STOL machine. They like to advertise it as such but the reality is that it's a bit of a road runner for its size.

Saw some stuff somewhere about a recoilless rifle mounted under the fuselage. Probably just an idea but no reason why it shouldn't work with a boresight in the cockpit. Some kind of hydraulic loading device was also mooted.

I'd give major organs to have a go on her. My kind of low level fun fuck around machine, along with the A10 and the A6.

It is quite strange that the Bronco was not produced in far greater quantities and used by more countries. It seems to have so much going for it in terms of COIN, CAS etc.

Maybe NA Rockwell hadn't bribed enough Senators.

Although the Wiki page does state that Boeing has been putting together an upgrade proposal for the Bronco.