Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Most Beautiful Aircraft

True dat...the Minor was a tight fit for anyone wearing full "outdoor" flying clothing and it required a degree in gymnastics just to get into it. Once installed, if you dropped anything, it stay dropped and don't even think of trying to unfold a chart. But, great fun to fly and it would turn on a sixpence. The one I flew had a VW engine.

True dat...the Minor was a tight fit for anyone wearing full "outdoor" flying clothing and it required a degree in gymnastics just to get into it. Once installed, if you dropped anything, it stay dropped and don't even think of trying to unfold a chart. But, great fun to fly and it would turn on a sixpence. The one I flew had a VW engine.
Mine too. Good enough for trazillions of Beetles, good enough for me.

Porsche boxer a bit to much eh ? :mrgreen:
Too compicated..... I rebuilt the top end of the engine....... it took about an hour; Brilliant things.

BTW, there was duplex chain that, I think, drove the magneto. I decided to replace it but had no idea where it had come from. It turned out it was original equipment for a two litre Granada.

If it’s your old one the McBlains have at Killkerran your not kidding, I’d need to be as cut down as Dingerr to get in.
Watching it take off though it needs more horses in my opinion.fwiw

Those things used to terrify me when I was a very young child in the early fifties. We lived 15 miles North of RAF Aldergrove (in an ex-service man's cottage) and they flew training exercises over over our house. They came screaming in, low enough to see the pilots.
Variable noise, constant velocity.

CFB
Take an orange from the box

If it’s your old one the McBlains have at Killkerran your not kidding, I’d need to be as cut down as Dingerr to get in.
Watching it take off though it needs more horses in my opinion.fwiw

Mine literally leapt into the air at about 28 knots.You could feel that big old wing being sucked up, never experienced anything like it. I think the official stalling speed was 25 knots, but mine stalled at 18. Nice and reassuring that. Was fun to slip too.

As for getting in and out, getting in was okay, step on the seat and slide in...... Getting out was a bit tricky, even if there had been a need, and space, for a parachute, you'd never get out in time.

Actually it was a pity that it was just slightly too heavy to classify as a microlight, it would have meant the operating costs would have been a lot lower. Folding wings would have helped too, parking it at home in the garage would have saved me about 300 quid a month in hangarage which was the only reason I ended up selling it.

Damn.

Enough chat!

Time for some Century-series Americana...

...starting with the F-100...
101217-F-1234S-104.JPG

F-101...
Voodoo-960_640.jpg

F-102...
F-102A_North_Dakota_ANG_in_flight_1960s.jpg

...F-103 mock-up...
Republic_XF-103_mock-up.jpg

...F-104...
wp_63-13243_F-104G_Luke_DM.jpg

...F-105...
approaching-thunder-peter-chilelli.jpg

...F-106...
1200px-194thFIS-F-106-58-0797-ADC-CA-ANG_%28modified%29.png

...F-107...
BI29884.jpg

...F=108 (mock-up)...
North-american-xf108-rapier-interceptor-prototype.jpg

Regards,
MM

Of course for completeness, I should’ve added the F-110A Spectre (the original designation for the F-4 in USAF service)...
F-110.jpeg

...and F-111!
F1-11.jpg

But then, do we include the ‘covert’ century series numbers? Like the YF-110B...
mig21-usaf.jpg

...YF-113A...
haveferrymig17.jpg

...or YF-113C...
usafmig11.jpg

Regards,
MM

Wouldn't the century series fighters go right up to the F-117 Nighthawk? I remember speculation at the time thought it would be designated the F-19, but for some reason it was given a century number.

Cheers,
Dan.