Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Most Beautiful Aircraft

On a tangent - both the Ju87 and the F4 Corsair were designed for carrier operation, and the available oleo leg technology dictated the gull wings.
The Ju87 was redesigned for carrier ops with the carrier-specific Ju 87C series, the one with the folding wings prototype'd on the second testbed, a converted Ju87 B-0 air-frame

Likewise the Skyraider, engineering poetry.
Here we go...

ava1spad_02.jpg

On a tangent - both the Ju87 and the F4 Corsair were designed for carrier operation, and the available oleo leg technology dictated the gull wings.

I don't think the Ju-87's gull wing was dictated by the carrier capability. Indeed, the RLM only started studying for the type for the carrier in 1937, several years after design and first flight of the first prototype (which as a point of historical interest had a twin tail which proved lethal to one crew).
Ju87-V1-Prototype-1935_2af-s.jpg

Rather, the gull wing improved pilot visibility, provided greater ground clearance for the prop (important given its expected use from unprepared airstrips), and allowed more rapid reloading of bombs due to the easier access.

Nevertheless, the Ju87C carrier variant is one of the lesser known aspects of the Stuka story.
ju87c-2.jpg

Regards,
MM

I don't think the Ju-87's gull wing was dictated by the carrier capability. Indeed, the RLM only started studying for the type for the carrier in 1937, several years after design and first flight of the first prototype (which as a point of historical interest had a twin tail).
Ju87-V1-Prototype-1935_2af-s.jpg

Rather, the gull wing improved pilot visibility, provided greater ground clearance for the prop (important given its expected use from unprepared airstrips), and allowed more rapid reloading of bombs due to the easier access.

Nevertheless, the Ju87C carrier variant is one of the lesser known aspects of the Stuka story.
ju87c-2.jpg

Regards,
MM

Wouldn't have fancied ditching with that air intake - a bit like the proposed Sea Typhoon.

The Bf 109 was even more finicky with the landing gear attached to the fuselage... Lots of losses due to ground loops and taxiing accidents... Given the issues with the Seafire I wonder how the Graf Zeppelin operating navalised 109's would have panned out...
Bf109T's were perhaps more modded to suit carrier ops than the Spit, lengthened wings being the main mod, along with up-rating the undercarriage and fitting arrestor gear, but seeing as they never saw carrier use its a moot point :)

The Bf109T's did however, end up in Norway, primarily because of their better rough field, short take off and landing ability, they were better able to cope with the short-length fields in Norway, they later were sent to the island of Heligoland in 42 for much the same reason.

The Corsair was designed around the R-2800 and the gull wing was the only design that would allow the the use of the 13’ Hamilton Standard prop, not much to do with oleos.

Here we go...

ava1spad_02.jpg

You do know that that's not a Skyraider...don't you?

THIS, is the 'Spad!'
midway-1117b.jpg

Agreed; however, not even the most charitable / blind Naval Aviator could accuse the Skyraider of beauty. It always looked to me like a prize pig over stuffed with swill...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think the A-1's a great looking aircraft; functional, pugnacious and manly!
tumblr_inline_npfkj9DTRK1t90ue7_1280.jpg

Regards,
MM