Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Most Beautiful Aircraft

Did you happen to notice which mark of Canberra it was? They had one variant (PR 9)?where the Navigator sat in the nose, to get in you had to open the nose, he strapped in and they closed it again. No forward view, just a side window. The ejection seat went up just in front of the pilot.

View attachment 342731View attachment 342732

At least he had an ejector seat, the navigator in the B(I)8 who was also put in the nose, had to jump!

SR71 Blackbird and MiG Fulcrum. Don't know why, just love the shape of them. There's an aircraft carrier museum moored in New York that has a SR71 on it, I went giddy when I got up close to it!
Did you find it to be smaller than you'd imagined when you got up close & personal.
The one at Duxford seemed to be.

That said in the same hall there's a B24 Liberator, no small plane but it looks like a model when you compare it to the B52 that it's adjacent to. That thing seemed inordinately massive.

Piaggio P23

piaggio.jpg

Between mugs of cocoa, Werther's Originals and afternoon naps???
I met an AVM who was head honcho of our bit of MoD and he was delightful. He'd started on Canberras before going rotary and he loved them. As an aside he'd wangled a spell as a young blood with BBMF - on arrival at his new girlfriend's house, he's given the third degree by her dad - Retired Lt Col herumff etc. On asking 'So young man, what exactly do you fly?' He was rather pleased to be able to answer ' A Spitfire'. The union was blessed.