Most Beautiful Aircraft

Oo, all the way to the end of the street and back, then. :-D
Yep I think the crashes off Flamborough proved that, Binbrook, quick spin round the north sea, right we are at Flamborough, she is empty mate, we are going swimming.

Yokel

LE
Shades of Nimrod MRA4 there, in that if you put enough appendages on it, it'll be stable... somehow.

The above wing tanks were to increase its range - the Lightning had point defence type roles. However the normal wing configuration did not lend itself to low speed flight, which would have been needed for the Sea Lightning landing on a carrier. Therefore variable geometry was proposed.

220px-English_Electric_Sea_Lightning_FAW.1_top-view_silhouette.png

Not a bad looking aeroplane, the Breguet 1001 Taon. It was the French entry for a NATO competition for a new strike fighter that was eventually won by the Fiat G-91.

Breguet+1001+Taon.jpg

Yokel

LE
There is no way that abortion belongs on this thread.

The Lightning did have a sort of brutish appeal due to its clean lines and sheer engine power. The two seaters retained this. The redesign needed to make it carrier capable would have ruined its angry appearance, without making it particularly suited to the naval role.

This brings us back to my aircraft of what makes an aircraft aesthetically appealing? Most of us have an instinct for recognising streamlined shapes, as well as balanced things. Symmetry is attractive.

Yokel

LE
Dunno quite like it myself.

You quite like what? The proposed Sea Lightning?

The Lightning was designed to get off the ground quickly and climb rapidly to do a short range intercept, operating from major bases with long runways. It did not need things like good low speed handling. I think that it was mainly intended to defend the V bomber bases so it did not need too much range, and this helped with the exceptional climb rate.

However low speed handling is needed for carrier operations and the flight profile is different. How much heavier would the aircraft be after the mechanism for variable geometry and a strengthen fuselage and undercarriage were added, as well as the extra fuel needed for the naval fighter mission?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You quite like what? The proposed Sea Lightning?

The Lightning was designed to get off the ground quickly and climb rapidly to do a short range intercept, operating from major bases with long runways. It did not need things like good low speed handling. I think that it was mainly intended to defend the V bomber bases so it did not need too much range, and this helped with the exceptional climb rate.

However low speed handling is needed for carrier operations and the flight profile is different. How much heavier would the aircraft be after the mechanism for variable geometry and a strengthen fuselage and undercarriage were added, as well as the extra fuel needed for the naval fighter mission?
You do reach a point where a clean sheet of paper is needed/preferable.

I'm always dubious when the 'We can do this, if we change this, this and this...' card is played.

For maritime, it's best to start from scratch. The right answer, in all respects, was the F-4.

Latest Threads