Most Beautiful Aircraft

Not real, but some of you may have seen the work of Colin Andrew (along with Terry Patrick ) in action comics of the 1970s and 80's. One that struck me as a young teen was the prototype fighter as used in the Squadron Leader Kane strip inside Warlord (of DC Thomson heitage). Their artwork effectively kickstarted the battle (sic) with IPC magazines, without which 2000AD might never have been created.

I'll try to find some of the cels later this week once I look in the loft, but below is issue cover 148 and the storyline.
That’s supposed to be a Martin Baker MB5 I believe, the best propeller driven fighter the RAF never had.

This morning I was watching a YouTube video on the Napier Sabre aircraft engine. Hmm naughty Rolls Royce…..
Anyway, the Septic who made the video posted this photo of a prototype Race plane with a Sabre Vll fitted. I couldn’t see who built it.
020F8B68-384E-4BA1-9BB9-CB1B8CFDDF24.jpeg

A C-130 designed to operate on ice - requires rocket boosters to take off

This particular aircraft was deemed unusable after it crashed, but when a similar one was reewuired many years later, it was quicker and cheaper to restore and rescue this one rather than buy a new one

1653735841946.png

1653735898950.png

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs

This particular aircraft was deemed unusable after it crashed, but when a similar one was reewuired many years later, it was quicker and cheaper to restore and rescue this one rather than buy a new one

View attachment 666151

View attachment 666153
I'll look it up later, but the pilot of a flight told the co pilot the story, and the co asked what happened to the aircraft. Was told " you're flying it"

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
FB_IMG_1653944317788.jpg

View attachment 666151

View attachment 666153
And this….
0F00360A-F517-49C3-9B69-5FF457A7DFCB.jpeg

Yokel

LE
@Fang_Farrier given your location and the events of forty years ago, and also your service at the tail end of the Cold War, you might consider the Sea Harrier to be suitable for this thread. This is a picture of a Falklands era Sea Harrier FRS1 just after launching from HMS Invincible and features on the cover of One Hundred Days by Admiral Sandy Woodward:

royal-navy-sea-harrier-with-hms-invincible-in-the-background-BFGF0J.jpg

Any idea what the green thing hidden under the wing of the DC 130 is, an early drone?
Might be this. The colour seems correct.

Might be this. The colour seems correct.

I think too small, I don't have an alternative answer, what was that tinier plane that was on Shell Island? Thats a possible. Smaller than the Gnat. Going back over 40 years now.
ETA there was also an old Mitchell there. Bloody years ago . No the aircraft mentioned was smaller than a Gnat as I remember when the Reds were flying them, however it was on a pole outside the camp and painted bright orange. I do remember it well but yes it was a while back as I say.

Last edited:

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
I think too small, I don't have an alternative answer, what was that tinier plane that was on Shell Island? Thats a possible. Smaller than the Gnat. Going back over 40 years now.
ETA there was also an old Mitchell there. Bloody years ago . No the aircraft mentioned was smaller than a Gnat as I remember when the Reds were flying them, however it was on a pole outside the camp and painted bright orange. I do remember it well but yes it was a while back as I say.
seek, ye shall find!

I looked here

Lockheed-C-130A.jpg

then scrolled through all the display aircraft, found this
Teledyne-Ryan-AQM-34L-df23b799.jpeg

AQM-34L-Firebee-Pima-03-23-17-9450.jpg-nggid042241-ngg0dyn-700x273-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

Latest Threads