Most Beautiful Aircraft

Sorry that seems to be incorrect unless you are talking purely about PRU Spits vs, 262.....More than one PRU Spit was lost (one to a ME109) during just the Tirpiz op;

From a story about the Norwegian crash site of Spitfire AA810 which was lost to 109's;

"On average, each PRU Spitfire had a life expectancy of just 14 weeks. Several were shot down over the North Sea – and have therefore never been located."

Weather was a factor as well. Having to descend below cloud to take photographs loses you the advantage of height.

Talking of S.A. If you are ever in Joburg, they have a rare bird, a 2 seater 262 nightfighter, also a low hours Spit MK8, Flown down from Cairo in 1944 I think by George Camplin to take place in "Liberty" airshows

View attachment 664141

Some other interesting kit there too, dropped in there a few years ago while working away at the Track at
Midrand.
As far as I know that Me 262 night fighter at the war museum here in Joburg is the only one still in existence.

Mate of mine was up in Angola a few years back, and saw a Bear - said it was the loudest thing he'd ever heard.
Apparently the HUGE props exceed the speed of sound as they go to full revs.

Ours are a lot quieter.

77390484-42F4-4672-A959-BECD473FD7F9.png

Robsa68

Old-Salt
Any particular reason they wouldn't let the Shackleton be flown in the UK? I'd have thought Air Atlantique were well placed to run and maintain it.
If I recollect correctly and to be fair it mostly went over my head, the main reason was it was something to do with BAE, at the time, still had design rights on the aircraft and didn't want a large, complicated airframe in the sky. (The Vulcan set a precedent there,) The rest , I've no idea.

Beauty and the Beast

As an aside, if a Gannet lacked a starter cartridge then it could be started by windmilling the props in the slipstream of another Gannet. There was an attempt to use Matelot Muscle to achieve the same goal but it didn't succeed.

Attachments

• AvWeek_19830926_053.JPEG
    AvWeek_19830926_053.JPEG
    147.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Flight_1988_0099.jpeg
    Flight_1988_0099.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Mate of mine was up in Angola a few years back, and saw a Bear - said it was the loudest thing he'd ever heard.
Apparently the HUGE props exceed the speed of sound as they go to full revs.
Curious that ASW role aircraft were apparently as noisy as possible. Perhaps it was the Submariners equivalent of the Stuka siren.

Latest Threads