Most Beautiful Aircraft

One BB in the right place could turn it all to shit. Probably too old school, but my arse twitches at the thought of anything Bill Gates has influenced making decisions for me.

Automation on my current ride is treated like a mong with a sparked up blowtorch and not left unsupervised at any time. For good reason.

The first fighter aircraft to fly close to the limits of stability on purpose was the Sopwith Camel, the centre of gravity of which was about a foot behind the back of the engine cowling - which covered an engine that rotated about a fixed crankshaft. Whilst nowhere near the instability of a Typhoon - it would fly where it was told to most of the time - moments of forgetfulness in the cockpit would be punished severely.

The first fighter aircraft to fly close to the limits of stability on purpose was the Sopwith Camel, the centre of gravity of which was about a foot behind the back of the engine cowling - which covered an engine that rotated about a fixed crankshaft. Whilst nowhere near the instability of a Typhoon - it would fly where it was told to most of the time - moments of forgetfulness in the cockpit would be punished severely.
The age-old (Ok, 80+ years) debate re Spitfire and Hurricane.
Yes, the Huri was a more stable gun platform, but the spit was more sprightly.
What do you want in a fighter?
The Yanks had it right when they used chaps like Doolittle (piston engines) and Boyd (Jets) to do eveluations.
Much like Winkle Brown wrote - ask a pilot what the pilot wants for the role.

syrup

LE
Lockheeds F117 Nighthawk was the same. Computers everywhere!!!

There was a tale told (perhaps one for the urban myth thread) and it was repeated on t.v. also.
There's footage of an F117 crashing during an air display and the pilot banging out as it redesigns someone house
The plane pitches up and becomes unstable and turns into as mentioned a breeze block before he ejects

The U.S. Airforce had a couple of others pile in and nobody could figure out why it became unstable until they debriefed a pilot post crash.

He said before he lost control he heard the same noise his daughters computer made when it shut down.
Turned out that (according to them) that as a front line jet it had never been powered down
When it was at base it was hooked up to ground power to keep the basics ticking over so the computer shut down for a reboot on day 28 as it would do at home.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
When the Typhoon was being designed the computing power needed to fly the plane was still two iterations from being small enough to be fitted inside the fuselage, but the designers banked on it being small enough by the time the first airframes were ready.

The computer's were late (quelle surprise) but the project anticipated that and the first fly-by-computer frames took to the sky with the computers being on the ground connected by data link.
That’s the first I’ve heard of anything like that. Typhoon was predated by some years by the F-16, which was an unstable FBW design.

There was a tale told (perhaps one for the urban myth thread) and it was repeated on t.v. also.
There's footage of an F117 crashing during an air display and the pilot banging out as it redesigns someone house
The plane pitches up and becomes unstable and turns into as mentioned a breeze block before he ejects

The U.S. Airforce had a couple of others pile in and nobody could figure out why it became unstable until they debriefed a pilot post crash.

He said before he lost control he heard the same noise his daughters computer made when it shut down.
Turned out that (according to them) that as a front line jet it had never been powered down
When it was at base it was hooked up to ground power to keep the basics ticking over so the computer shut down for a reboot on day 28 as it would do at home.
Not sure about the F117 problem but more recently there was an issue which actually required 787’s to be rebooted from cold at regular intervals..

the Register

Excellent write ups above!

One thing a modern fighter possesses (as mentioned above) is computer controlled unstable flight. A human cannot control a Typhoon without the computer.

The human element (addition to system) is also a fighters weakest point. A human can only take so much sustained g-force for a given period.

I forget but without google fu’ing it’s something like 18g max on body, 9 g max sustained?

A modern fighter such as F22, Typhoon can push the g-force envelope much further given modern materials and manufacturing methods. It’s the human stopping an aircraft doing (unknown if it could) 20g high angle attack manoeuvres at Mach 2 plus!

Which is why BAE are looking at Tempest? An aircraft that can be manned or unmanned. I suspect in unmanned mode not only can it be part of swarm drone warfare, but can perform beyond human capability manoeuvres with one Tempest as the manned ‘office’, pottering around.

Air warfare will significantly change over next 30-50 years (IMHO).

And…… with the onset of quantum computing (this is steadily getting better with development and my current company are investing with respect to lasers in quantum computing) processing power will be phenomenal it only in aircraft etc, but will actually open up driverless cars and AI.

The ways things are going we’ll will either be:
1) Living the modern world dream (if we get there!)
2) Armageddon as computers and AI become self aware as per Terminator
3) As point 2 but wiped out as per Wargames (film)
4) batteries as per The Matrix
5) Living heads kept alive in jars as per some freak show film not yet written.

Fun times!!

5) Living heads kept alive in jars as per some freak show film not yet written.
uai-00857805.jpg

God forbid. It'd be the rich and politicians' who be the first in the queue.
Don't hold your breath. Jeff Bezos says he's investing billions into longevity but the git can't even come up with a cure for baldness or get his gammy eye fixed.

MV5BMjQzMzM3NzE4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTIzODY4ODE@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

tumblr_o2djarD77f1us21qco2_r1_1280.jpg

Bloody hell just noticed my thread has been quietly ticking along for 12 and half years...

Latest Threads