Most Beautiful Aircraft

Even “winkle “ struggled in his autobiography to heap much praise on the spiteful. And the seafang struggled to bring much extra to the carrier party that the MK 21 spit couldn’t allready do,( except a wildly exciting stall,awkward in a combat turn, lethal over the round out.) Jeff Quill thought it a dead end.
side dit, the Mk21 with a full warlord at takeoff ,weighed the same as the mk1 with 32 airline passengers with a standard luggage allowance!
Jeff told me that.!

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I know this has been done before but I don't care!
1631871734048.png

The first one built had the single prop
I was looking at the pictures shown, not the actual builds. Didn’t know the first was different, but you definitely want a contra prop to tame the prop torque especially on a narrow carrier..

RP.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Armstrong Whitworth made some good looking aircraft, but most seemed to be underpowered.
Case in point being the Ensign with a miserable 210mph top speed.
Armstrong_Whitworth_AW.27_Ensign_I_G-ADSR_%2816138273911%29.jpg

77-1.jpg

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Another one that looked right but was actually rubbish was the Miles / Handley Page Marathon. It was underpowered, tail heavy and unreliable. In particular, the landing gear seems to have been weak.
Derby_Aviation_Marathon_1956.jpg

Even replacing the 4x Gipsy Queens with 2x turboprops didn't save it.
miles-m69-marathon-ii-g-ahxu-later-vx231-9900555.jpg

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Armstrong Whitworth made some good looking aircraft, but most seemed to be underpowered.
Case in point being the Ensign with a miserable 210mph top speed.
Armstrong_Whitworth_AW.27_Ensign_I_G-ADSR_%2816138273911%29.jpg

77-1.jpg
Why does that fuselage look familiar?

Latest Threads