Most Beautiful Aircraft

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
AJAX Walts.
That became apparent when they were upgrading the Nimrod fleet to the MRA 4 standard. As the wings were to be replaced, they measured one of the airframes and built a precision measured box section to bolt the wings onto. Unfortunately when they offered it up to the first airframe to get the upgrade (which was not the one the measurements had been made against) it didn't fit!

Back in those days aircraft were "coach built", you got a bit of metal and cut it to fit, then fettled it a bit to make it really fit well. After this discovery they went out and measured the whole Nimrod fleet and found out the longest and the shortest had 18 inches difference...
That must give model aircraft accuracy fetishists apoplexy.

Tyk

LE
I flew from R.A.F Seleta to Kuching in one of those. Or rather, I didn't, because about an hour out from Singapore several of the engines stopped working. Well, maube only one did, but a second was losing oil, so we turned back and landed at Changhi. Typical crabs, over 2 hours to travel 5 miles :)

Ah, but was it 5 miles in the right direction in which case progress could have been argued?

Don’t think I can BEAR much more of these innuendo’s…
8CE29F44-1257-4014-BFB9-4D8CE3442D0B.jpeg

regarding the Stirling, it wasn't unknown for crews to drop a bomb or two into the Channel on the way out,allegedly,to allow the aircraft to climb higher.
My neighbour’s late husband did 2 tours as tail gunner in Stirlings and she lent me his mission notes. One night his a/c developed engine trouble over the channel and turned for home, ditching the bomb load on the way. Still losing height and lost in cloud, the skipper ordered the crew to bail out. They were pleasantly surprised to arrive on dry land where they were picked up by locals and taken to the pub, to be fed beer and hear tales of ‘the b*stard Jerries who passed over half an hour ago and bombed the sh*t out of their church…
aside/
On the ‘Jonathan Swift’ (fast ferry to Dublin), the structure is mostly aluminium alloy and most decks are unpainted to save weight and increase speed.

when they started using the fast ferries out of Dublin,they had to reduce speed leaving the Port as the wake was causing trouble to small boats and local beaches. Those ferries are quite powerful and generate a high,fast wake as they accelerate.

when they started using the fast ferries out of Dublin,they had to reduce speed leaving the Port as the wake was causing trouble to small boats and local beaches. Those ferries are quite powerful and generate a high,fast wake as they accelerate.

ISTR that they had an issue with waves from the fast ferries manuvering as they approached Belfast. They would generate a single large bow wave as they turned (or decellarated or both) which would run along the coast.

Unsurprising, as the black paint jobs applied to many bombers were held to have robbed them of several crucial miles per hour. The Stirling wasn’t that sprightly.

Blue skies, aye.
Well there are black paint jobs and black paint jobs. The RAF early on used a velvet like paint coating

RAF RMD2A Special Night used lots of carbon in its pigments to give a rough dusty dead matte look. For sure that likely took MPH off the A/C. apparently not a great success in service. hard to adhere properly and easily damaged finish . Effect on Bomber speed was likely not terrible but increased fuel consumption was likely a concern. for a Mosquito IIRC something like 26mph slower

RAF Semigloss black was likely the same effect on speed as normal Sea Grey Dark green, etc.

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
That became apparent when they were upgrading the Nimrod fleet to the MRA 4 standard. As the wings were to be replaced, they measured one of the airframes and built a precision measured box section to bolt the wings onto. Unfortunately when they offered it up to the first airframe to get the upgrade (which was not the one the measurements had been made against) it didn't fit!

Back in those days aircraft were "coach built", you got a bit of metal and cut it to fit, then fettled it a bit to make it really fit well. After this discovery they went out and measured the whole Nimrod fleet and found out the longest and the shortest had 18 inches difference...
Shorts Tucanos were the same.

You had about a 10% chance that panels from one aircraft would fit another.

Inspection panels etc were painted with the aircraft number for this reason.

I'm on the wagon, so I'll have a Fresco

mikoyan_gurevich_mig_17__nato_designation__fresco_by_opticallightspeed_d9v8y12-fullview.jpg

Latest Threads