Most Beautiful Aircraft

For those who want to know more, this is a rather enjoyable read
How odd, I don't see anything, although I can see there's a link in the quote. Which book is that please?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How odd, I don't see anything, although I can see there's a link in the quote. Which book is that please?

Yeah Amazon links can be a bit hit and miss on here.

Colin Smith, England's Last War with France

Aaah, beautiful … I learned all about restraint … and weight ‘n balance on Daks.

When we were coming back from Dar to Nairobi, we sometimes had dead heading crews who were generally from the Dak fleet and accustomed to the humps and bumps of our low level leisurely perambulations home.

On one occasion I noticed we had two of these groups. The Dak crews were notorious for ‘pranks’ played during their 5 day Dar rostered partycations, and this lot it appeared were in the mood.

Sure enough after a while in cruise I noticed that ‘George’ appeared to be about to let go. The autopilot was pretty good but when an extreme out of trim event occurred it could be overcome. I quietly disengaged and sure enough experienced an extreme forward CG requiring lots of re-trimming.

With a fair idea of what had happened still hand flying I waited. Pretty soon I then felt the weight begin shifting steadily aft. Apparently disappoint that there hadn’t been the required sudden pilot embarrassing disengagement they were trying again.

Trimming steadily to maintain level flight I waited till the culprits were right at the back, then gave them the exact opposite of what they were waiting for... the sudden pitch up. I was kind enough not to bounce them off the ceiling out of pity for the passengers but I did notice then the subsequent flight was quiet and uneventful. :)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sabre powered Tempest

IMG_20210729_141219.jpg

Nicked from this thread

Last edited:
Quick too. About 465mph. But there were problems with the engine and radiators.

Yokel

LE
I think the two tone colour scheme sported by the Super Eterndard Modernise is is later years was rather fetching:

US_Navy_070412-N-7498L-018_A_French_Super-Etendard_from_the_nuclear-powered_aircraft_carrier_French_Navy_Ship_Charles_de_Gaulle_%28R_91%29_performs_a_touch-and-go_landing_on_the_flight_deck_of_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS.jpg

French+Navy+SEM+on+side+catapult.+Mediterranean+sea.+its+armed+with+2+x+GBU%2527s+%252B+Magic+Airr625l+tank+%252B+Electronic+pods+and+flares..jpg

Why did the Marine Nationale opt for this scheme? They used it in the 90s in the Adriatic, but originally they used all grey:

R99-Foch-09.jpg

I think the two tone colour scheme sported by the Super Eterndard Modernise is is later years was rather fetching:

US_Navy_070412-N-7498L-018_A_French_Super-Etendard_from_the_nuclear-powered_aircraft_carrier_French_Navy_Ship_Charles_de_Gaulle_%28R_91%29_performs_a_touch-and-go_landing_on_the_flight_deck_of_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS.jpg

French+Navy+SEM+on+side+catapult.+Mediterranean+sea.+its+armed+with+2+x+GBU%2527s+%252B+Magic+Airr625l+tank+%252B+Electronic+pods+and+flares..jpg

Why did the Marine Nationale opt for this scheme? They used it in the 90s in the Adriatic, but originally they used all grey:

R99-Foch-09.jpg
Can't remember the paint job, but can recall seeing them from Ark Royal operating in the Adriatic in the late 90s.

Published by: RAF Waddington, via Facebook, on 28 JULY 2021.

For those of you who know Waddington well you’ll be all too aware of our Gate Guardian – The Vulcan XM607. Over the last couple of days work has been ongoing to prepare the aircraft for a period of recovery and preservation activity, this will see the Gate Guardian moved across camp by the Joint Aircraft Recovery and Transportation Squadron.

After a successful initial move the aircraft is now sat on the taxiway and is planned to transit across Unit at 1330. This post is a heads-up for those who may want to watch the move, which will be possible from the Waddington Viewing Area on the A15, and also so that nobody worries about where our beloved Gate Guardian has gone!

The renovation work will take several months and will be well documented, just keep your eyes on our socials in the coming months!

#TeamWaddo

1627594221847.png

[drift]

Published by: Light Aircraft Association, via Facebook, on 28 JULY 2021.

Joint announcement from BMAA and LAA.

600kg Legislation Goes Before Parliament

The BMAA and LAA are pleased to report the long awaited revision of the UK microlight definition comes a step closer today, as the proposed revisions to the Air Navigation Order which will enact the changes are put before Parliament. The result of extensive collaborative working between the Associations, CAA and industry representatives, it is hoped that this will lead to the new 600kg Microlight classification being incorporated into law on 19 August 2021.

Geoff Weighell, BMAA and Steve Slater, LAA.

[/drift]

Chef

LE
[drift]

Published by: Light Aircraft Association, via Facebook, on 28 JULY 2021.

Joint announcement from BMAA and LAA.

600kg Legislation Goes Before Parliament

The BMAA and LAA are pleased to report the long awaited revision of the UK microlight definition comes a step closer today, as the proposed revisions to the Air Navigation Order which will enact the changes are put before Parliament. The result of extensive collaborative working between the Associations, CAA and industry representatives, it is hoped that this will lead to the new 600kg Microlight classification being incorporated into law on 19 August 2021.

Geoff Weighell, BMAA and Steve Slater, LAA.

[/drift]
Is that a good or a bad thing?

Percival Q6 Petrel

https://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MY/MY83-2/8-1.jpg
There was an old lad ( whose name I now forget, though he must be long dead now) who was renovating one of those to flying status in a hangar at Ronaldsway in the mid1990’s.
it was complete and in very good nick then.
( edit, he rejoiced in the name of Douglas Wilson Spratt).

Last edited:
There was an old lad ( whose name I now forget, though he must be long dead now) who was renovating one of those to flying status in a hangar at Ronaldsway in the mid1990’s.
it was complete and in very good nick then.

The chap from Isle of Man died some years ago; the aircraft then sat waiting a buyer and was eventually purchased and taken to Seething. The new owner discovered that the outer wing panels which had been made for the renovation had been made without reference to drawings (!!!!) and were thus not going to be any good for restoration to flight. He posted about this on the Key aero website about 10 years ago, and a slow restoration has been under way ever since; the plan is it'll become part of the Finest Hour warbirds fleet in 2023.

I assume that means it'll be operating out of Bicester alongside their Tiger Moths, although they do have some link with Cotswold airport.

The chap from Isle of Man died some years ago; the aircraft then sat waiting a buyer and was eventually purchased and taken to Seething. The new owner discovered that the outer wing panels which had been made for the renovation had been made without reference to drawings (!!!!) and were thus not going to be any good for restoration to flight. He posted about this on the Key aero website about 10 years ago, and a slow restoration has been under way ever since; the plan is it'll become part of the Finest Hour warbirds fleet in 2023.

I assume that means it'll be operating out of Bicester alongside their Tiger Moths, although they do have some link with Cotswold airport.
They covered her on a programme called Aircraft Restoration. Series 2.

Au, the Proctuka… removed from filming after the pilots reported it was likely to suffer a higher attrition rate than the real thing if they carried on (or something like that), so models were used instead…