Most Beautiful Aircraft

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Love it, as a kid I always remember watching these off Cleethorpes beach....

I find that some times the best things happen on practice days. Watching them hang in the air for a short time and the smoke covers them, then they drop down through it is well cool. I've lost a couple of hard drives with that stuff on. This photo doesn't quite get it but nearly.

BOB_9402 (2).jpg

chrismcd

Old-Salt
Sorry but whatever they were doing at Aldergrove it was not de-Americanising them. The RR Spey is 6 inches wider than the GE J-79 so the aircraft had to be built from scratch. Wider fuselage and bigger intakes. Badly affected the performance even though lots more power.
Hence the famous slander;
"Its the same with any bitch - once you spey them, they get fat in the arse and slow down".

Last edited:
Piper PA-8 Skycycle, cute considering the fuselage was a leftover drop-tank from an F4U and the tailboom was a metal tube.

Piper-PA-8-Skycycle-Inflight3.jpg

Two were built ( both with the same reg ) but Piper decided to drop the idea on liability grounds.

Heinkel He 116A. Designed as a long-range mailplane. Actually smaller than it appears, each engine was just 240hp. Two sold to Japan.

Heinkel-He-116-02.jpg

The 116B was a photographic variant for the Luftwaffe, eight built which spent the war mapping German conquests.

Follow on from Hawk discussion.

I just read incidentally that RAF XX162 was returned to BAe for reinforcement to sustain 9.5g for use by the Institute of Aviation Medicine. Normal service limit was 7.5g which was inadequate for its task of researching psyiological factors for the Eurofighter project.

0273869.jpg

Later in its life it gained a '9G' tail sticker.

Follow on from Hawk discussion.

I just read incidentally that RAF XX162 was returned to BAe for reinforcement to sustain 9.5g for use by the Institute of Aviation Medicine. Normal service limit was 7.5g which was inadequate for its task of researching psyiological factors for the Eurofighter project.

View attachment 570348

Later in its life it gained a '9G' tail sticker.

To G, or not to G. That is the question.

You can certainly see the Heinkel 111 lines in that, good job they didn’t upscale it to a full size four engine Bomber.
Heinkel did produce some beautifully designed elliptical wing planforms on its earlier models.
The later model He111 had a straight leading edge no doubt for ease of manufacture and maintainence amongst other reasons.

Heinkel did produce some beautifully designed elliptical wing planforms on its earlier models.
The later model He111 had a straight leading edge no doubt for ease of manufacture and maintainence amongst other reasons.
I’ve always liked the inter war years of Aircraft, engine and airframe technology moving forward rapidly. But the last of the Biplane fighters were truly elegant and powerful, like our Hawkers and Gloster’s, the Fiat CR42. But I do like Heinkel’s He51 and He51B-1 Float Plane.
16ADA315-C5B2-4D09-A99C-827780B3897F.jpeg
F7F8B2C3-8FC4-4E63-A79D-A6BE9896DF0C.jpeg

[
but it couldnt sustain it, surely,asthe drag from the turn would slow it down and it's ability to pull g would diminish.

Presumably sustained for long enough for the IAM to perform their studies on a repeating basis. From what I can find in the open press it was mainly about g-suit improvements and the ability to operate the cockpit interface while under high g.

The Hawks bleeds off energy after the first turn, so I suspect the reinforcement was intended to improve resistance to multiple and repeated 9g turns during a sortie. Even the Arrows don't go above 7g.

Latest Threads