Most Beautiful Aircraft

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I was pondering the high-AoA of the Tornado and then realised the wings aren't swept forward! Very odd for a low-speed formation. I wonder if it was at a certain stage of the test programme and hadn't yet been cleared for minimum sweep in that regime.
Wouldn't minimum sweep, low speed be right up front in terms of clearance? More likely to be nose up, wings swept for the aesthetic of the picture.

Waldeck

Old-Salt
BOB_2035.jpg

I had forgotten about this one, but i think it has a certain pugnatiousness in it's looks. We're all familiar with the BAE Hawk as a two seat trainer, but there was a short lived single seat version in the Hawk 200. Sold as a basic single seat multi-role fighter, it could be employed for dogfighting, CAS, interdiction, anti-ship, basically anything (All I could hear in my head as I typed that was "Ve need a plane for bombing, straffing, assault and battery, interception, ground support and reconnaissance. Not just a fairweather fighter!")

Fitted with radar, 7 hardpoints and in flight refuelling, it was certainly capable and was reasonably priced for the time. It went into service with Indonesia, Malaysia and Oman and there had been plans for a version for the RSAF.

1618641319949.png

I had forgotten about this one, but i think it has a certain pugnatiousness in it's looks. We're all familiar with the BAE Hawk as a two seat trainer, but there was a short lived single seat version in the Hawk 200. Sold as a basic single seat multi-role fighter, it could be employed for dogfighting, CAS, interdiction, anti-ship, basically anything (All I could hear in my head as I typed that was "Ve need a plane for bombing, straffing, assault and battery, interception, ground support and reconnaissance. Not just a fairweather fighter!")

Fitted with radar, 7 hardpoints and in flight refuelling, it was certainly capable and was reasonably priced for the time. It went into service with Indonesia, Malaysia and Oman and there had been plans for a version for the RSAF.

View attachment 565892
"pugnatious" or not, what they have done to the BEAUTIFUL Hawk, only qualifies it for the "Most Ugly Aircraft" thread :( .

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That toad is still prolific on Quora where people lap everything he posts up as gospel, chapter and verse.

Also on the Falklands history page on Facebook

"pugnatious" or not, what they have done to the BEAUTIFUL Hawk, only qualifies it for the "Most Ugly Aircraft" thread :( .

I think it'd look fab in Red Arrows livery, without all the bolt-on equipment.

My first encounter with the 200 was through the box art of Roy Huxley, who could make anything look good.

s-l400(1).jpg

I never thought of it at the time, but it seems it would have been more logical to name the second-gen Hawks the other way round with the single-seater being the 100...

Last edited:

View attachment 565892
So a BAE A4 Skyhawk version

BAE Hawk as a two seat trainer, but there was a short lived single seat version in the Hawk 200. Sold as a basic single seat multi-role fighter
Always made me laugh, as I said previously I did my work experience at wasteofspace, Even then I thought so this one has seats for two guys and you call it the 100 this one, single seat but you call it 200? Even 36 years ago it makes no sense.
It's like, let's make two pretty identical airframes, we will rig the one with jet propulsion and call it something gay like "Dominie" after that bird in Thunderball. Oh we can bin that off chaps, lets put some props on one and call it "Jetstream" :)

It's like, let's make two pretty identical airframes, we will rig the one with jet propulsion and call it something gay like "Dominie" after that bird in Thunderball. Oh we can bin that off chaps, lets put some props on one and call it "Jetstream" :)

Beyond the fact that the Domine came from de Havilland and the Jetstream from Handley-Page, the name was chosen by the RAF as fitting in with the tradition of trainer names: Master, Magister, Prentice, Provost, Varsity... It was actually the Gnat which broke the logical naming scheme.

The DH.125 on which it was based was originally called Jet Dragon.

Back to work experience for you!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Always made me laugh, as I said previously I did my work experience at wasteofspace, Even then I thought so this one has seats for two guys and you call it the 100 this one, single seat but you call it 200? Even 36 years ago it makes no sense.
Well, because the 100 came first.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Beyond the fact that the Domine came from de Havilland and the Jetstream from Handley-Page, the name was chosen by the RAF as fitting in with the tradition of trainer names: Master, Magister, Prentice, Provost, Varsity... It was actually the Gnat which broke the logical naming scheme.

The DH.125 on which it was based was originally called Jet Dragon.

Back to work experience for you!
Mate I was 14 at the time, credit due I would say. But they were pretty much built by Wasteofspace at Brough as the companies had amalgamated by then. Oh and to pi55 on your bonfire a bit more the Dominie i.e the HS125 in civvy guise came from which company? Hawker Siddely. I might not get much right at times but like I say I was 14 at the time but even then I knew why it was called an HS 125

Last edited:

Latest Threads