Most Beautiful Aircraft

The Mossie should have had “handed“ engines , how much safer would it have been!
They fixed that in the DH hornet.
Iirc via gearbox.
Iirc, I'm pretty sure P38 Allison was so designed so you could turn the engine around and there was your clockwise/anticlockwise movement. So you one engine to cover left and right. .

Waldeck

Old-Salt
to add: 'transient' is key here.
Many different types flying in to an AFB as 'transients', for oil and fuel or some gremlin, so the crew would be familiar with something different... ie a P47 squadron mechies wouldn't know much about a Merlin, but the 'transient' crew would.
Shows you how things evolve. Some plane lands in trouble at an airfield and no one knows the equipment so they have to transport in some one who does (time/money).

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
I heard you could pick these up cheap after ww2 and even Korea for a couple of $!

BOB_8553.jpg
BOB_8565 (2).jpg
BOB_7878 (2).jpg

This is his Sister.

_BOB0018.jpg

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Coast Guard practicing stuff.

_BOB0841a.jpg

Not sure if these guys are Coast Guard or not.

_BOB1609a.jpg

Then this guy makes sure all is safe.

_BOB9093-14x11.jpg

Along with this one.

_BOB0827a.jpg

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
My friend Steve hitched a ride on a Fokker C-147a Troopship carrying the Golden Knights Display Team, think the guy next to him was a bit camera shy.

BOB_7885 (2).jpg

Yep.
BOAC used to fly people and ball bearings and watches in and out of Zurich and Stockholm, on civilianised Mosquitoes.

The main Swedish ball bearing supplier being SKF, parent company of Volvo which is Latin for "I roll".

Of course SKF sold to both the Allies and Axis, both directly and through local subsidiaries. Ironically the company had been established when the founder became dissatisfied with the quality of ball bearings he had bought from Germany.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the main Swedish ball bearing suppliers being SKF, parent company of Volvo which is Latin for "I roll".

I hope this helps your day go better.

Helpfully supplying ball bearings to both sides throughout.

Nothing like a good war for the profits

I have a vague memory of a personnel panier that was touted for the Harrier either for insertion of special forces or retrieval of downed air crew. Can't find anything on the net but I think it was in one of the British secret projects books.

AVPRO Exint pod, still being touted for F-35.

Exint_F-35B.jpg

It would seem a handy thing to have in the inventory for CSAR, since attack helos could be tasked instead of transports, but it requires the extractee to be mobile, uninjured and not in need of hoisting.

There was also a parachute-retarded version for deployment from non-VTOL aircraft for insertion only, reportedly adopted by the IDF.

Last edited:

View attachment 563540

It would seem a handy thing to have in the inventory for CSAR, since attack helos could be tasked instead of transports, but it requires the extractee to be mobile, uninjured and not in need of hoisting.

There was also a parachute-retarded version for deployment from non-VTOL aircraft for insertion only, reportedly adopted by the IDF.
IDF version would be good for returning asylum seekers.

tiv

LE
Sometimes fuel left in the tanks was worth more than was paid for the aircraft...
I recall a story about the founder of the Skyframe Museum when purchasing surplus aircraft was surprised that an Anson cost more than a Mosquito. When querying it he was told that the Anson contained a lot of valuable aluminium while the Mosquito was just two engine and a load of firewood!

1617879814827.png

SE200

Really not sure if beautiful or ugly, or just plain WTF?

tiv

LE

View attachment 563540

Just had to look that up, more info here The EXINT Pod if anyone is interested.

ETA There is a photo of a Spitfire with a man-bag apparently hooked over the cannon barrels to attach it at the end of the piece that was mentioned earlier in the thread..

Being in the middle of a history MA, 20th Century to be precise, I can vouch for the fact that academia don't hold his work as "reliable" "accurate" or "without bias" it also doesn't help that in later life he went "Tom Clancy" and hived most of his research and writing out to others.

The Ambrose writing factory was what did for him in the end - sloppy work by his researchers, followed by him not checking for plagiarism. Had he apologised, said that he’d make sure his research assistants were trained better and issued a revised version of Wild Blue, he might have been granted a bit more leeway.

As observed, though, he became more of a historical novelist in some of his works, with various stereotypes and imaginings of what must have happened creeping in. His claim - and I think we’ve covered this before - that cowardly RN landing craft coxswains had to be coerced into taking their craft onto the beaches of Normandy by lantern-jawed US officers/SNCOs holding M1911s against their heads was given a severe duffing up by US veterans who’d been on the landing craft.

He and his supporters tended to fall back on the line that other historians were jealous of his success, noisily obscuring inconvenient points such as ‘that’s not true’, ‘that’s wrong’ and ‘that paragraph was written ten years ago and you’re passing it off as your own’.

Latest Threads