Most Beautiful Aircraft

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Don't P1ss off the Air Marshal, no Sir. Only had to see him once, that was enough. "Out of Bounds"

BOB_7933 air marshal.jpg

Have no idea what this was for. Selling ice cream?

BOB_8536 (2).jpg

Waldeck

Old-Salt
toolbox for the 'uncommon' tools, which are rarely needed, but expensive and neccessary.
No point having fifty of 'em, when you need it once in a blue moon.
Likewise, with experts on that little intermittent niggle.
Normally senior NCOs, with years of experience, used as troubleshooters.
Wow there you go, Thanks.

Tom Neil, in his book The Silver Spitfire, describes his part in USAAF P-51s getting fitted with the Malcolm Hood.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 563335
P51C Malcolm Hood. Posted before, but why not?
Do I recall reading somewhere else that the -B and -C (and the -B in particular) were preferred over the -D with the teardrop canopy because of the lack of visual distortion?

It's also interesting how the Allison-powered versions are denigrated and that the P-51 only really shone once given the Packard Merlin. The RAF were more than content with the Allison engine in aircraft used for low-level interdiction.

For some odd reason the Allison never got the same supercharger treatment the Merlin got. It was actually a very good engine. It did however get a turbo in the P38.

Bet me to it! I never could understand the British mentality towards the P38.
Take brilliant aircraft and purposely fcuk it up!

The turbos were something a bit too complex and expensive or so we thought ( yet we had them in the B17 and later Thunderbolt ).
The handed props should have been kept. You'd have had a nice low to medium altitude aircraft then.

617 Squadron oficially acquired two Mustang III for target marking, a P51b may have magically made its own way into their hands too.
IIRC that was the same magic they used to get the Mosquitoes.
And in fact if you read the biography of Leonard Cheshire by Russell Braddon you will read of Cheshire using a Mustang for precisely that purpose. He had initially tried a Mosquito but felt that a smaller aircraft would be more suited, a consequence of which is that he had to brush up on his navigation having relied on others up to that time. Oddly, the Mustang he used was borrowed from the Americans as the RAF was unlikely to release one of theirs for pathfinding duties.

Deleted because it was Tait.

"In an action that was supremely brave or suicidally foolhardy, while bullets and flak fragments continued to bombard his aircraft, Tait then began to fly his Mustang in a tight circle around the target, calling ‘Bomb on me!’ over the radio."

The turbos were something a bit too complex and expensive or so we thought ( yet we had them in the B17 and later Thunderbolt ).
The handed props should have been kept. You'd have had a nice low to medium altitude aircraft then.
The Mossie should have had “handed“ engines , how much safer would it have been!

The Mossie should have had “handed“ engines , how much safer would it have been!
It doesn't make an happence of difference when one donkey stops.

Latest Threads