Most Beautiful Aircraft

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Almost as good looking as a Spitfire, Almost!

_BOB1105a.jpg
_BOB9372a.jpg
_BOB9371a.jpg

Maple

LE
USAAC (1926) ceased to exist in march 1942 from then until it became the USAF it was the USAAF.

specifically what about the book did you hate (excepting Ambrose himself) or decide was inaccurate?
Being in the middle of a history MA, 20th Century to be precise, I can vouch for the fact that academia don't hold his work as "reliable" "accurate" or "without bias" it also doesn't help that in later life he went "Tom Clancy" and hived most of his research and writing out to others.

Last edited:
I can't see why. Regardless of shutter speed. the pix might surely get the props occasionally in the "+" position rather than the usual "x" position. :)
Perhaps there were many shots taken at high speed with all manner of positions and the photographer chose the results that appealed to them aesthetically ie the matched propeller positions? That or freakish luck.

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Shutter speed too fast.
Standing on a tossing boat requires a fast shutter speed, Though a guy at the front/bow kept his lower with good success, but he had a Canon 300mm. I on the other hand am not to worried about seeing a spinning prop. Hand holding the old version of a nikon 400mm 2.8f takes a bit of practice.

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
There’s a B/C model in the first picture, with the pre Malcolm “Birdcage” hood .
Not to sure what a B/C model is, but as I understand it the middle one was the first model (agh B/C= Before Christ):) and had an American engine and the other 2 had RR Merlin's along with the new canopy.

Not to sure what a B/C model is, but as I understand it the middle one was the first model (agh B/C= Before Christ):) and had an American engine and the other 2 had RR Merlin's along with the new canopy.
P51B or P51C, it was the C that got the Packard built Merlin. The Malcolm hood was a blown sliding canopy, similar to the one on the Spitfire.

P51B or P51C, it was the C that got the Packard built Merlin. The Malcolm hood was a blown sliding canopy, similar to the one on the Spitfire.
Only difference between C and B models was where they were made.
both had Merlins.
American production was started in early 1943 with the P-51B (NA-102) being manufactured at Inglewood, California, and the P-51C (NA-103) at a new plant in Dallas

The B and C were both Merlin powered and most RAF MkIIIs, and some USAAF aircraft used the Malcolm hood. The other two seem to be D or K models, the same aircraft but with a cut-down fuselage and fin fillet, and different sources of the propeller assembly - flown by the Crabs as the MkIV and MkIVA.

Latest Threads