Most Beautiful Aircraft

1614423900294.png

De Havilland Albatross

Tyk

LE
De Havilland have a fair few entries in this thread, they made some absolute corkers in the elegance and streamlined style.
That Albatross is pretty damn glorious.

FFE580FD-D288-4CF8-970B-CA8070C64036.jpeg

You know the saying “if it looks right....”

Apparently not in this case. The RAF lost a fair few in the early 50’s, 37 in one year alone.

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
I would imagine that many in twin-engined aircraft would have been less than impressed if the two front engines failed! :)

I seem to recall the Trislander had to be loaded very carefully to avoid an unintended tail squat.
The Islander similarly. I flew to Tiree from Oban one day with a stop in Coll where we all had to get out and re-arrange the seating.

One of the most beautiful flights I've ever made.

8f2f7e93b08112899fa5d32fbee94a58_original.jpg
Never seen this before, quite impressed. I never knew the Eyties had a 4 engined bomber in WW2.
Piaggio P108
IIRC, when the Italians tied their colours to the Nazi mast, some of the Italian Air Force took part in bombing Britain.
It was generally ineffective, as I recall. German planes were closer, and quicker.
Anyone else remember this?

IIRC, when the Italians tied their colours to the Nazi mast, some of the Italian Air Force took part in bombing Britain.
It was generally ineffective, as I recall. German planes were closer, and quicker.
That’s where RAF Hendon got the Fiat CR42 from. Ran out of fuel or mechanical problems and force landed on the beach at Orfordness Suffolk.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Details here of the Italian involvement in the Battle of Britain

View attachment 552979

Apparently not in this case. The RAF lost a fair few in the early 50’s, 37 in one year alone.
How many Meteors or Vampires were also lost in the early 50's?

Last edited:
I always thought this was rather elegant looking but not very good in day fighter guise

MESSERSCHMITT-BF-110.jpg

Tyk

LE
View attachment 552979

On one of my Duxford visits there was one of those hooning about the sky for 20 minutes or so. Loads of teararsing down the runway at low level and stuff. Impressive sight and noise.

Not long after one of these did much the same, but I was stood close when it started up, that engine really does sound grand.

1614476044428.png

Not ugly on the ground or in the air, at least to my eyes.

Latest Threads