Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Beautiful Aircraft

Is that a missile sitting under the front leading edge of the wing?
I recall Lightening had AD missiles mounted on pylons ABOVE the wings . . . ?!

But, but, a quick google found these:

inert-missile-attached-to-a-english-electric-lightning-f-53-zf588-CWFEY1.jpg

inert missile attached to a English Electric Lightning F-53 ZF588 je

1603232545469.png

English Electric Lightning - BCAR.org.uk

This last one, at least has SOMETHING, mounted above the wing . . .

1603232720262.png

Thunder & Lightnings - English Electric Lightning - Survivor XS925

Last edited:
Gotta be a photoshop.
Nope, fairly standard, rattle down the concrete at max chat, u/c retracted as soon as weight off and he's just about to sit it on its arse and climb.

I recall Lightening had AD missiles mounted on pylons ABOVE the wings.
Fuel tanks, rockets and bombs but I never saw one with missiles fitted above wing. Jag did.

Nope, fairly standard, rattle down the concrete at max chat, u/c retracted as soon as weight off and he's just about to sit it on its arse and climb.
As a Rugrat I got taken to an Air Show, no idea where! But embedded in my mind is the image of a Lightening doing just that. Absolutely Vertical!!

Is that a missile sitting under the front leading edge of the wing?
I use this as my AVATAR, somewhere else . . .

I should have looked at the detail more closely ;) !!

76702468_1185673224957001_7277800062774673408_n.png

On top? What was the separation mechanism? Gen interest.
ERUs as normal - never reached service, it was an export version bunged out at Farnborough or similar. The only time I saw one with the overwing tanks on was when visiting Warton in 88 as well. A BAe jet used as target/chase a/c.

A fine demonstration of why the F-4 was a much better aircraft, bigger and more capable radar, loads more in the way of weapons and endurance.

I hear what you’re saying and I thought the same. The photo In this case though has the air-brakes open so unlikely to be during takeoff.

He’s just having fun before his interview with the Staish...

I hear what you’re saying and I thought the same. The photo In this case though has the air-brakes open so unlikely to be during takeoff.

He’s just having fun before his interview with the Staish...
Well spotted that man....Akrotiri was always where you did stuff if you wanted to be naughty mind, with a v good chance of getting away with it "Because APC detachment"

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Lightning had SNEB rocket launchers fitted above the wings, per #7,240, in Middle Eastern (Saudi and Kuwaiti) service.

In UK service, the above-wing stations were used for fuel tanks, not weapons. Standard weapons fit was 2 x AAMs, and internal guns on some Marks.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
ERUs as normal - never reached service, it was an export version bunged out at Farnborough or similar. The only time I saw one with the overwing tanks on was when visiting Warton in 88 as well. A BAe jet used as target/chase a/c.

A fine demonstration of why the F-4 was a much better aircraft, bigger and more capable radar, loads more in the way of weapons and endurance.
IMHO, the Phantom was a far more adaptable aircraft, whilst the Lightning was designed for a single role - high speed interception. In that single role, Lightning was better, but for everything else Phantom was the dog's conkers.

Latest Threads