Most Beautiful Aircraft

Do the hurdy-gurdies have tankers?

tiv

War Hero
Two images from one of Ian Blacks book's. The originals both exhibited feint diamonds but something has been lost in scanning.

Lightning Ground Run.jpg

Lightning Diamonds.jpg

However neither exhibit plumes anything like Deathstar.

Shock diamonds.

And ditto trying to find an EE Lightning pic, though I've seen them before.

(I searched 'diamond avon', and got a nice range of eyeliners and mascaras!)

Yokel

LE
For me the sight of the EE Lightning and its Razzle Stack engine arrangement makes me think of tales of the top engine deciding to catch fire/leak - which them took out the lower engine and burnt through the flight controls.

Perhaps 'beautiful' is not the right word, but this picture of a US Navy F/A-18 Hornet in an Aggressor painted scheme landing aboard the USS Ronald Reagan is striking:

Talking of aggressor aircraft, the Hawker Hunters of Hawker Hunter aviation have adopted a striking colour scheme - not sure why though:

Spotted this.

For me the sight of the EE Lightning and its Razzle Stack engine arrangement makes me think of tales of the top engine deciding to catch fire/leak - which them took out the lower engine and burnt through the flight controls.
ZU-BEX
Shitty maintenance saw pools of fuel all inside/under the aircraft.
All hydraulics lost, pilot tried to bang out, seat wasn't maintained either.
"Tell her I love her"

Yokel

LE
ZU-BEX
Shitty maintenance saw pools of fuel all inside/under the aircraft.
All hydraulics lost, pilot tried to bang out, seat wasn't maintained either.
"Tell her I love her"

I meant in RAF service, engine fires spreading from the top engine to the lower one were common, and because these burnt through the aluminum flight controls it meant the aircraft was lost. Changing the control rods to stainless steel give the pilot extra time to either do an emergency landing or to eject in a controlled manner.

This was all from PPRuNe. Unbelievably English Electric suggested a carrier version with variable geometry. The Navy said NO!

exspy

LE
Perhaps 'beautiful' is not the right word, but this picture of a US Navy F/A-18 Hornet in an Aggressor painted scheme landing aboard the USS Ronald Reagan is striking:
I like the squadron motto on the fuel tank; "The Fighting Omars."

Me too! I can still remember the exhilaration felt by Cadet Mushroom during his first 30 min flight with one Flt Lt Forbes in 1982, despite being limited to steep turns as a 'newbie'!

6 AEF at RAF Abingdon was the other AEF which looked after young Mushroom's Air Cadet flying and I have fond memories of a particularly spirited aerobatic sortie over the Oxford countryside in 1983!

Regards,
MM
I did my share of strapping cadets in to the 6 AEF chippies in the mid 80s to 1988. Always got at least 1 trip as a thanks Added a few free hours to my log book pre CPL. Weekends, Bank Hols and Wednesday pm (sports don’t ya know)

We had “Jump John jump” on VHS but it was usually left to me run the tape and answer the usual questions of “will i puke sir” and “I’ve been told (by cadet SNCO ) not to eat for two days and ask for aerobatics” .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about this for a trip down memory lane?
Regards,
MM
My lad was awarded a prize for his performance as NCO in the ATC at DSMC, in Edinburgh.

He mentioned part of his briefing before his AEF . . .

"If we have to leave the aircraft I will shout 'JUMP, Jonny (for that was his name!), JUMP' . . . but you won't hear the second 'JUMP' . . . because I will have already gone" !!

Latest Threads