Most Beautiful Aircraft

Are you, perhaps, thinking of this story?

Possibly. I first read about it when Gordon Baxter interviewed the pilot for Flying magazine. The pilot also shot down a Zero by dropping the undercarriage of his F-4U and riddling the Zero as it went past.

Weren't the EW Canberras the last to be taken out of service?
No.

360 Sqn was disbanded in 1994 and its Canberra T17s retired whereas the PR9s of 13 Sqn remained operational until 2006, seeing service during both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Regards,
MM

Weren't the EW Canberras the last to be taken out of service?
No.

360 Sqn was disbanded in 1994 and its Canberra T17s retired whereas the PR9s of 39 Sqn remained operational until 2006, seeing service during both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Edited to correct a 13/39 Sqn brain faff!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
No.

360 Sqn was disbanded in 1994 and its Canberra T17s retired whereas the PR9s of 13 Sqn remained operational until 2006, seeing service during both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Regards,
MM
39Sqn flew the PR9; in 2006 the Stabbed Pussies of XIII Sqn were flying the recce GR4 out of Marham.

07E5014E-58EB-437A-B7D3-1A5074F8A97E.jpeg

A day out from the “Borrowed Time” Rest Home for wee-smelling Werthers Originals types.

F3A61871-7B4E-4B8E-88B0-0E0A27FEB2CD.jpeg

Vs The Fin in 2005.

To protect myself from allegations of ageism, it would only be correct to point out that one pair of Tornados on ops recently got itself the nickname “The 200 Club”, as each of the four aircrew were over 50!!!!!

39Sqn flew the PR9; in 2006 the Stabbed Pussies of XIII Sqn were flying the recce GR4 out of Marham.
You're quite correct!

I will edit my dullard post and allocate myself a weeks SDO!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Looks superficially like a 2-seat Spitfire.
But looks even more like a Yakolev structure ....

That tube that projects out of the structure holding the rear of the visible part of the airframe seems to alighn with the hole shown on the cutaway of the Yak-3.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was thinking along the lines of a Yak-3UTI or Yak-11 but couldn't find a decent cutaway or picture of a damaged one.

Was this answer based on finding some further photographs of the ac in question?
Yep, I nicked your cutaway, sparked a a few memories in one of my followers and he dug out a the photo above. TBF it was the fairing aft of the cockpit that threw me

Latest Threads