Most Beautiful Aircraft

Suit of zips and velcro

93D45441-343F-44D0-A7AC-237A95D9806C.jpeg

The Northrop Xb 46
desighn started during ww2 but order cancelled at wars end.
pork barrel ensured one was built which flew 145 test hours
called the flying needle it had structural flex issues which ultimately doomed its development.
elegant for a bomber though.

View attachment 430936
The Northrop Xb 46
desighn started during ww2 but order cancelled at wars end.
pork barrel ensured one was built which flew 145 test hours
called the flying needle it had structural flex issues which ultimately doomed its development.
elegant for a bomber though.
You tube says it was built by Convair,
The shape is interesting, very similar to the slightly later EE Canberra. I also find those one wing photos difficult, my mind knows where the other wing is but it feels like it's some sort of cheat.

Last edited:
Ignore my last post . I worked with an ex Northrop,man who in his youth worked on this as his first job. I assumed it was still a Northrop ac but wiki says it was convair who bent the tin.

[DRIFT]

Able to excite . . and depress . . . at the same time!!

[/DRIFT]

It's astounding what is still there, though. Bucket list.
He does say - though - with the increasing longevity of aircraft; the reduction in types of aircraft; and, the reduction of manufacturers; the place will (inevitably) become less interesting :( .

I had thought they simply shrink-wrapped the aircraft in white plastic.

It was interesting to see them first sprayed - all over - with some black sealant; and, THEN sprayed - all over - with some white material that I had mistaken for merely plastic sheeting. Presumably more heat reflective than the black stuff underneath.

Also interesting that they can/do, re-generate some aircraft - back into service - even after TEN years idle/in storage!

Hopefully there will still be available, both an F-16, and a COBRA helicopter, when I eventually win the lotto ;) .

He does say - though - with the increasing longevity of aircraft; the reduction in types of aircraft; and, the reduction of manufacturers; the place will (inevitably) become less interesting :( .

It was interesting to see them first sprayed - all over - with some black sealant; and, THEN sprayed - all over - with some white material that I had mistaken for merely plastic sheeting. Presumably more heat reflective than the black stuff underneath.

Also interesting that they can/do, re-generate some aircraft - back into service - even after TEN years idle/in storage!

Hopefully there will still be available, both an F-16, and a COBRA helicopter, when I eventually win the lotto ;) .
You mean you're not going to be sharing your winnings with US?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Hermetically sealed. There are some fascinating articles about what is effectively aviation mummification.

Good luck with that, the Helicopter Museum at Western super Mare have been after one for years!
The Septics won't sell em one, just in case they try sell to it to an enemy power, not that you'd do a thing like that.
Come 13 Dec 19 when the Right Honourable Jeremy Corbyn wins the GE, we'll *be* that enemy power!

I suspect the obsolescence of the IT systems will make this sort of project harder to execute in the future. You turn it all on, it works fine but refuses to talk to your modern aircraft, or ground stations, or engineering maintenance crews, or attached smart munitions; who are all using the equivalent of .docx when it uses .doc.

Latest Threads