Most Beautiful Aircraft

The Luftwaffe flew one of those to within about forty miles of New York to prove they could build something big enough to bomb the US of A. But, they didn't prove they could build something good enough to fight off the interceptors that would meet it.....

...The Luftwaffe flew one of those to within about forty miles of New York...[/QUOTE]

When did this occur?

To the best of my knowledge they were only used on maritime and transport tasks; the latter included sorties to besieged Stalingrad.

Regards,
MM

MM, an error on my part, it was the Ju-390. It apparently made the flight some time in 1944.

When did this occur?

To the best of my knowledge they were only used on maritime and transport tasks; the latter included sorties to besieged Stalingrad.

Regards,
MM
Possibly this:

A captured Photographic technician, Unteroffizer Wolf Baumgart, was interrogated by the US Ninth Air Force and his testimony was recorded by the A.P.W.I.U. Report 44/1945. In that report Baumgart is quoted claiming that a Ju-390 flew from Mont de Marsan, France, to within 12 miles of New York city. He further stated that photographs were taken of the city's skyline. The same A.P.I.W.U report also references corroboration by a more senior Luftwaffe officer, who added that the Ju-390 had an in-flight endurance of 32 hours.

On 11 November 1955 when Green was editor of the "RAF Review" he referred to two British Intelligence reports dated from August 1945 entitled "General Report on Aircraft Engines and Aircraft Equipment." This British Intelligence report drew from British and not US sources. It also drew from various wartime Enigma decrypts which in 1955 were classified. in fact because the British Government re-sold captured Enigma machines to many African nations, it had to keep Enigma classified well after the war because it continued to provide intelligence long into the Cold War era. Enigma was not declassified until 1996, so Green was unable to identify Enigma decrypts as a source for RAF intelligence reports. The reports however became the basis of Green's claims for a flight to New York in 1944

What is known of William Green, is after quoting from the British Intelligence reports an unidentified former German serviceman began a lengthy correspondence with Green which later formed a basis for many of Green's claims about the New York flight in his book.

The Luftwaffe flew one of those to within about forty miles of New York to prove they could build something big enough to bomb the US of A. But, they didn't prove they could build something good enough to fight off the interceptors that would meet it.....
I thought the Junkers Ju 290 looked a bit strange at first glance as I have a model of one, presumably one of the three which replaced the Fw 200 Condors on the long range Maritime Patrols in 1943. They did not have a nose gun turret:

Junkers_Ju_290_A-3_FAGr_5_on_ground.jpg

"
Gluteus Maximus said:
...The Luftwaffe flew one of those to within about forty miles of New York...[/QUOTE]

When did this occur?

Regards,
MM "

Best stuff on this rumour I can find so far. The suggestion seems to have first been made by the editor of RAF Flying Review unfortunately in the November rather than April 1955 edition.

The Amazing Junkers JU 390

FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: How the 'celebrated' Junkers Ju 290 "Alles Kaputt" went to America - Watsons Whizzers, KG 200, Revell Ju 290 A-7 'Spy version'

There is some nutcase input here:
Amazing wartime story of the Ju 390 and the Ju 290 - JunkersJu390

Provided purely for amusement....

Not convinced.. it doesn't look quite right either airborne or on the ground e.g.

And it was prone to "issues" on landing.

The JU 290 :

and 390

managed to not quite look right as well...

All IMHO... :)
One Junkers that seemed memorable from model aircraft and films was the corrugated bus, the JU52. IIRC it was Germany's equivalent to the DC3 as a transport work horse. It isn't pretty but from some angles looks okay but the central engine clearly looks like an afterthought to get enough power.

It did the job though and continued in to civilian transport and passenger service for many years after WW2.

MM, an error on my part, it was the Ju-390. It apparently made the flight some time in 1944.
Interesting; I’ve never heard that claim before. However, I’m very dubious of its authenticity given what I know of the type’s history and the practicalities of making such a sortie at that stage of the War.

Regards,
MM