• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Most Beautiful Aircraft

Now, if they were only P51A's or B's.....and in colour :)
Well here's some real Luftwaffe P-51Bs (and a P-47) in B&W...
...and some pictures of the colours...

Regards,
MM

Apologies, for some reason the ‘pinterest’ website pictures wouldn’t attach. Try this with the P-47 in the background...

...and without.

Regards,
MM

Presumably, the P-47 is one of these...

...at least one of which appears to have survived the War together with bits and bobs of other Allied types in this hangar.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Go and find the book about flying these by Hans Werner Lerche, Luftwaffe test pilot and member of "Beutezirkus Rosaruis", which used to bring these aircraft to the squadrons to teach the pilots how to fight against them and to provide recognition training for flak gunners.

Because. Oh, and you can close the thread now.

Lancaster story - my nephew and niece are both airline pilots in Canada. When UK family visit they hire a single seater and give you the city tour round Toronto - CN tower flyround etc.
Out of curiosity, where do they fit the passengers in a single-seater? I’ve got this image of “Flight of the Phoenix” in my head, family members strapped to the wings of a Spitfire...

While one of those wartime trial wing-bags for carrying Erks around in an emergency is an alternative, the rocket racks on a Typhoon might give a better view for photography...

Last edited:
It's "Glom of Nit", isn't it?

I can not remember the TV programme (not TG nor TGT), but within the last couple of days a (disused?) airfield was involved, and I was very surprised to see a number of Tri-Stars "parked-up". The filming was from all different angles, but it seemed like there were 5-6? Did we have that many? Rather than the Transport Fleet shiny white livery above, these were all the (later) subdued grey colour.

Agreed, deserving of a place in the thread Most Beautiful Aircraft.

Last edited:
I can not remember the TV programme (not TG nor TGT), but within the last couple of days a (disused?) airfield was involved, and I was very surprised to see a number of Tri-Stars "parked-up". The filming was from all different angles, but it seemed like there were 5-6? Did we have that many? Rather than the Transport Fleet shiny white livery above, these were all the (later) subdued grey colour.

Agreed, deserving of a place in the thread Most Beautiful Aircraft.
Pretty certain it is the airfield at which the programme "Car S.O.S.", drive their vehicles.

Just watching them messing about with an Mazda MX5, and again saw the lovely Tri-Stars.

Apparently there was. I doubt this was how the Lancaster did it:
Lancaster, BFO manumatic winch up in fuselage cable dangled down. Same on Shackleton Mk1&2. Mk3 similar to Vulcan. Valiant big rig with hydraulic ram, down form top of fuselage. Pull up stores, move rig to next hole.

CFB