Mosquitos and Spitfires. CGI or Not?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Speedy, Mar 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently it is. if so, can we have more please?

YouTube - Merlins

And as an afterthought, if this is what they can do CGI now with WWII aircraft, then the new Dambusters film (if it ever gets completed!) should be amazing!

2. I thought that I would be able to see if it was CGI but I could not tell. I beleive that there is only one Mosquito that is airworthy so with there being a few in the air at the same time then I can only assume that it is CGI, and yes if they ever get the Dambusters film of the gound then it should be something well worth waiting for.

3. It is very well produced. A couple of bit looks a bit "CGIeee" but that's to be expected. The future of film making......

4. If you want to spot CGI just look at how smooth everything runs. If they were real the engines would splutter and the wings would wobble. Still though I would love to see a new Dambusters movie once they don't try to make it more commercial with a love plot and less realism in the difficulties of the flight.

5. ...and provided they don't rename the dog!

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

the Mossie's look awfully clean, not a speck of oil or soot around the exhausts, and no grass or mud splatter on aircraft that are landing on a grass strip,?????

7. The "photography" is far too perfect for it to be real. If you take "Battle of Britain" or perhaps "Memphis Belle" as the epitome of aviation filming, then the difference becomes apparent.

Quite incredible piece of work though....

8. Great shooting, nice to se what can be done.

Is there now a Flying Mossie ?

john
    Ninja the dog was named Ninja.

9. Here's a bit on the N.Z Mossie LINK

10. Fantastic Happy B,
    Just what enthusiasts will do never ceases to amaze me.
    Memory says that Araldite was the original glue devoloped to join up the 'Woodwork'.
    I remember some tale that Focke Wulf built a German Mossei equivalent.
    It fell apart in flight for altho a good design the Glue could not be replacated.

john

11. There are no flying Mosquitoes at the moment after the tragic crash of the last one in around 96. Ironically, when that one crashed, it was planned to be donated to the BBMF; a Lanc, Spitfire, Hurricane and Mossie formation...now that would have been something to see!

The Germans tried many times to replicate the Mossie's performance, versatility and ease of construction but never managed it much to Goering's frustration. The Ta-154 Moskito was the nearest they got to doing it but as suggested, they never cracked the adhesive. They had similar problems with the He-162 jet fighter, the wooden wing tips of which had a tendency to delaminate and break apart at high speed (this characteristic also accounted for at least one RAF test pilot post war).

The Kiwi Mossie project is looking good however so fingers crossed.

Regards,
    MM