Mosin Nagants

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Aug 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In continuation of my thread here:

I'm still on the lookout for a rifle, and I have been looking at some of the Russian surplus Mosin Nagants.

They're pretty cheap (under 100 quid for a bog standard 91/30), ammunition, both surplus and new commercial production, is readily available, and I've also heard that they can be very accurate.

Another plus is that if I fancy getting a collection together, there's a whole host of models on the market at present (including sniper rifles for around 500 GBP).

Has anyone here used one of them? If so, which model was it? And what did you think of it?

2. What sort of price is ammunition though?
  3. About 30p per shot. That's for Czech surplus, I'd have to check for commercial but I think it's around 45-50p.
  4. That's about typical then. I've always thought they looked rather rough but at £100 you could hardly fail to get your moneys worth.
  5. Like it!
  6. Yes, as you say at 100 quid it's worth a try. If the worst comes to the worst I shouldn't lose too much if I sell it on.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I fired a 31 carbine with some lively ammo at the bog a few years back, very basically an ancient flamethrower!
  8. All thoughts of Mosins have been put on a back burner as I've just been offered a Kar98 in 7.62!

I also had a bit of a go with a No.4 Mk.2 yesterday.......what a rifle!!!! I had been using a Swedish Mauser all day, and my results were so-so, but with the Enfield my groupings improved considerably!

So I'm going to have to invest in one of them too soon.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

With the swede it must have been worn out or duff ammo as usually they are in the top scorers at HBSA matches.
    Some persons ha
    ve been known to cast hard lead bullets for their .303s and load just enough powder to get the range required, a lot of effort for no real reward and hardly in the spirit of the original.
    Back to Forums, there are many gun forums with seperate deicated sections for varitions on a theme but woe betide the poster who asks the wrong question! Yanks can be awfully ****!
  10. I have owned both a 1891/30 (1933 dated, yummy!) And an absolutely mint M44 from 1946.

A brief summary:

1891/30: if the rear sight is tight, it will shoot 3-4 minutes of angle with hand loads, so is comparable to other rifles of the period. But, you will have to shoot it with the bayonet fixed since this is how the sites are regulated. Without the bayonet it will shoot significantly high and right (if I remember correctly), of the order of about a foot high and 2 feet right at 200 yards. To fix this you need to fit a new, longer post and set the front sight central (just like on a genuine 1891/30 sniper.) Extraction with steel cased military ammunition is HARD.

M44: should do about four-six minutes of angle, and will shoot to the right with the bayonet folded. This can be fixed by drifting the front sight.

Extraction of brass cased ammunition is easy, and I once managed to get 17 rounds in aimed rapid fire out of the 1891/30 and 15 out of the M44 (which was mint so was a little tighter) using a neat little technique of manipulating the bolt handle which essentially involves closing the bolt with your thumb (and results in nice blood blisters on your hand.)

They are, however, VERY fussy with charger loading: the rims must be staggered (NOT like with the Lee Enfield) and you must be very careful to push the last round forward and down. If it does go in behind, open the magazine floor plate a bit and the rounds will pop into sequence. Then slam it shut and carry on.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If a perfect 100 can be scored at 1000 yards in the 1930's using issued SMLE amd ammo then why is the Russian rifle typical of rifles of that period? In my opinion apart from the decent Westinghouse models most look like they are recycled tractor leaf springs made by a pished up Ivan whose son made my Lada 20 years ago!
    Quantity not quality with those Russian builds and there are rough shooters in my experience.
    Nice bits of history but even the good condition snipers leave a lot to be desired beyond 200 yards.
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

A chap just came into my store with a deactivated M44. Covered in rust, sanded stock that rattled and generally badly in need of some TCL.

When asked what it was worth without the deac. cert., I told him, er, nothing at all.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Was it pre 97 standard?
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It was a 1943 model, and I'm not sure, but guessing from the state of the weapon, the deac. was pre-97.

Bolt-face intact, pin port clear, working action. Only a blocked barrel.