Mortars

When I did my armourer training we were taught the 3 inch mortar and then went on to work on the 81mm mortar.

My question is when did the 4.2 inch mortar cease to be in service plus why have we never adopted the 120mm mortar for infantry use? A bigger bomb pay load and greater range so why haven't we used it?

I suspect someone very senior looked at the calibre of a 25pdr ( 88mm approx ) and went "Anything equal or greater is an Arty cap badge job ". As all proper artillery is rifled and loaded from the breech, mortars do not qualify for use in the corps - and must be under 88mm if they are to be used by infantry.
Then of course, I could be talking absolute b@llux while under the influence of alcohol. In fact, more than likely.

When I did my armourer training we were taught the 3 inch mortar and then went on to work on the 81mm mortar.

My question is when did the 4.2 inch mortar cease to be in service plus why have we never adopted the 120mm mortar for infantry use? A bigger bomb pay load and greater range so why haven't we used it?
Too fecking heavy to man pack, I defer to those MFC a+b to extrapolate

I suspect someone very senior looked at the calibre of a 25pdr ( 88mm approx ) and went "Anything equal or greater is an Arty cap badge job ". As all proper artillery is rifled and loaded from the breech, mortars do not qualify for use in the corps - and must be under 88mm if they are to be used by infantry.
Then of course, I could be talking absolute b@llux while under the influence of alcohol. In fact, more than likely.
“In the Corps”?

Expect incoming...

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
**** dropping with a 120mm barrel wrapped around your leg the L16 81mm was bad enough. You would be down to 1 baseplate per mortar section anyway if man packing. The MGs had a similar issue. One MG section could hump 2 X 7.62mm L7 guns and tripods plus ammo or 1 X .50 cal gun with tripod and ammo.

The Arty had (and May still have) 120mm mortar.

The 81mm mortar is a great weapon with great manoeuvrability and can be brought to quick action very fast. It also has a high rate of fire and can get out of action very quickly too. I’ve never worked with the 120mm but having seen one they look far more difficult to use.

On a battalion ex once in addition to all our own regular kit we each had to jump with three 81 mm mortar bombs in their packaging tubes and they were bulky and heavy enough....

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A major problem in scaling 120mm mortar for the infantry is the amount of transport to move ammunition. The joy of 81mm is its manoeuvrability , simplicity and reliability. If you go down the 120mm with smart (remember Merlin) you finish up with a clunky weapon that underperforms a Lt Gun

On a battalion ex once in addition to all our own regular kit we each had to jump with three 81 mm mortar bombs in their packaging tubes and they were bulky and heavy enough....
Did you expect to jump without the greenies?

On a battalion ex once we each had to jump with three 81 mm mortar bombs in their packaging tubes, in addition to all our own regular kit and they were bulky and heavy enough....
Poof. If you were proper Tzanhanim you'd have carried one down each trouser leg as well.

they were so damn bulky I had to take out my assault vest and wear it under the parachute harness.
Eh ? I thought you put the harness over the Ephod ?
They were certainly putting it over the assault vest in 2012.

The 4.2in mortar went out of use about the same time as the Eyetie 105mm howitzer came in. The increased range of the 81mm compared to the 3in was reckoned by Head Office not to justify anything bigger.

Eh ? I thought you put the harness over the Ephod ?
They were certainly putting it over the assault vest in 2012.
SOP in the nineteen-eighties (I did jump school in 1981) was everything in the "chest sack" (weapons container). I tried to follow this on the jump with the mortar bombs but on the final apron inspection the PI (who had an Italian name and accent) expressed horror at my bloated and mis-shapen weapons container "No! No! This isn't IDF!" and had me wear the ephod and repack the rest.

Latest Threads