• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Mortars.......

I was asked a question in work today and am hoping someone in here holds the answer.

Can anyone tell me what height a mortar round can go when it leaves the barrel? Light and medium if possible...

I appreciate it depends on the angle of the barrel but a ball park figure will do .

Many Thanks

GP

Dear God, how many statistic-riddled, tube-and-nail homily burdened threads does it take to teach you lot not to provoke the antique weapons platoon?

Stop poking questions into their cages -- they get all agitated and start decorating their genitals with augmenting cartridges, shoving bore brushes up each other's hoops...and then comes the unbearable litany of 'mortaring factoids'.

It's all gets quite unnecessary and then we have to redecorate the ante room and apologise to the mess staff.

Now run along, you naughty boys!

Bravo_Bravo said:
Stickybomb - Antitanks, by any chance?

But I love the dirty talk in your second paragraph....
Ah-ha! You've cracked the screen name!

Closest thing to a gentleman's country sport without resorting to donkey walloping. Always thought of my No2 as my shikari...and recce as my beaters. :D

polar said:
Foxtrot_Oscar said:
But then again how do you measure fire power?
2/3 of British Army casualties were caused by Mortar fire during WW2.
Oh no they fcuking weren't...they were caused by all indirect fire weapons and most of those were caused by big mortars and proper guns NOT by the Battalion miniature artillery kits which the British Army seems to consider an act of war but even the French have long since discarded.

Yes I am a Gunner. No, I will not stick it up my hoop and no I am neither fatherless nor a homosexual. Except Thursdays. Oooh, that's today - where's my Royal Marine cross dressing pack Mabel?

Once watched a very funny video clip of some Afgan "loading" a big soviet 120mm mortar. Ran up to it bomb in hand dropped it into the barrell and ran like feck.

and

Nothing.

Obviously he hadn't attended the "action on blind bomb" lesson and didn't look very happy about trying to invert the barrell and catch the bomb before it hit the ground.

Personally I like mortars and I like watching the mortar platoon tabbing most of all.

LostBoss said:
Once watched a very funny video clip of some Afgan "loading" a big soviet 120mm mortar. Ran up to it bomb in hand dropped it into the barrell and ran like feck.

and

Nothing.

Obviously he hadn't attended the "action on blind bomb" lesson and didn't look very happy about trying to invert the barrell and catch the bomb before it hit the ground.
Was this the one where he ran back and kicked the barrel? It was just leaning up against a wall without a bipod, IIRC.

Latest Threads