Mortar identification

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Hitch, Jan 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone assist? I need to identify two mortars used by attackers from the In Amenas site in Algeria recently. I'm no expert on mortars, but can anyone help?

I've uploaded the best images I can find, one is more straight forward than the other. Grateful for any input. PM if more details needed.

Attached Files:

2. Left one is a russian 82mm mortar, the square base is a good identifying feature.

3. I'm not an expert but the one on the left looks like a bog standard Soviet / Chinese 82mm. I had to cart one of the ******* things from Warminster to The Old Bailey on a job years ago.

The one on the right, hard to judge the scale, poss 120mm?

PM Dinnger for a professional opinion.

4. Thanks!

On closer examination, the system under the tarpaulin seems to be a homemade weapon seen in a seperate TV clip. Looks to me like a DIY recoilless rifle, maybe from the Libyan conflict. But could it be a DIY mortar given the angle of elevation? I've identified the ammunition as S-5KO 55mm rockets normally intended for use on pods fitted to aircraft.

Grateful for any advice.

Attached Files:

5. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Square base plate on left 82 mm (Sov/Chin, cant tell from here) right hand one is a really bad picture from a poor angle, you're lucky we can see if it's a mortar.

6. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Don't try and fire the thing, just in case.............

7. It looks like the thing on the right is on a relatively flimsy tripod, so more of a rocket than a mortar, I would think. A mortar would need something substantial (usually the barrel itself) to provide enough resistance to the recoil.

8. Thanks for the input. Dinnger PM'd - but any other thoughts?

9. One on the left is a Chinese or Russian 82mm. Something to do with the square baseplate......

10. Did dingerr suggest SPG-9 or maybe an improvised rocket launcher for something between 66mm and 2.75"?

11. There are quite a few "taliban fail" videos on you tube involving exploding mortars. Bad drills possibly, bad or sabotaged ammo also possible???

I can't post links I'm on DII at present.

If a mortar expert can climb out of his mate for a minute or two I'd appreciate an opinion or two on what exactly is going wrong....I mean right, there!

12. I think youve pretty much got it covered between the posts so far.

The left pic is probably 82mm Mortar possibly Russian M1937 (square baseplate and lack of any modern aiming system as main ID). However mortar systems are quite simplistic affairs so easily copied. So it could just as easily be Chinese (doubtful as system is a very deep colour) or from a former yougoslav country.

The right picture I ID'd by its ammo (bloody shocking picture). It is indeed SPG 9 ammo. The second picture of it appears to be a modified or improvised tube (probably the former). The SPG 9 has a heavy and bulky breech mechanism. This barrel looks as off it has been modified to it can be fired remotely.

13. Thanks a lot gents, very much appreciated.

14. Continuing with the In Amenas weapons seized, enclosed is a video of the recoveries filmed by Algerian TV. Some weapons are more obvious (AK's, PKM's, Draganov's etc) but can anyone comment on the heavier equipment not already mentioned in earlier posts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ZlnI19vlY

I'm especially keen to ID the landmines captured afterwards (see image)

Ultimately I'm looking to make a link to weapons sourced from Libya if possible. Grateful once again.

Attached Files: