• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

MoronPutin is angry at the artice in the Washington Post

Will Putin be a Russian czar or a U.S. partner? - The Washington Post

Robert Kagan wrote

Can the United States blithely do business with this corrupt, authoritarian mafia state, led by a president-for-life who crushes all dissent? Some in the administration don’t think so. They doubt that foreign investors will ever flock to a Russia this corrupt and dangerous, and also doubt that the American people will embrace a long-term partnership with a new czarist dictatorship, especially one with Putin’s reflexive anti-Americanism.
There are some factual mistakes in the article but main points are too obvious to contest them.

However the Washington Post has received a repaly

A distorted portrait of Russia - The Washington Post

It is unfortunate that a paper of The Post’s stature provides an outlet for politically oriented hyperbole masquerading as a substantive policy critique.
Dmitry Peskov, Moscow

The writer is deputy chief of staff and press secretary to Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
Maybe mr.Putin is not the most comfortable Russia's leader for Washington but... ironically another president (someone who really can be elected) could be much worse.

Will Putin be a Russian czar or a U.S. partner? - The Washington Post

Robert Kagan wrote

There are some factual mistakes in the article but main points are too obvious to contest them.

However the Washington Post has received a repaly

A distorted portrait of Russia - The Washington Post

Maybe mr.Putin is not the most comfortable Russia's leader for Washington but... ironically another president (someone who really can be elected) could be much worse.
Sergey, that is an op-ed piece and not something typically endorsed as truth or even valid.

In the US we have a saying about opinion. "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink..."

But in all seriousness, is there even a minor concern that such revolutionary thoughts would or could reach russia or is the guy simply blowing smoke?

Sergey, that is an op-ed piece and not something typically endorsed as truth or even valid.

In the US we have a saying about opinion. "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink..."

But in all seriousness, is there even a minor concern that such revolutionary thoughts would or could reach russia or is the guy simply blowing smoke?
It is indeed a very unusual situation Ghost. A private opinion published in one of American newspapers that doesn't contain anything new has been answered by Putin's secretary.

Can you imagine that Obama's secretaty comments a private opinion of Russian author in Russian newspaper?

I think the article touched some sensitive points, exposed a weakness of Putin's regime.

As I have said there is no anything new in the article. Being compared with some Russian publications, the article contains merely soft weighted tactfull critical comments, no more.

But only a minority follows the critical publications and vast number of Raussians simply don't care or/and are brainwashed by TV, by Putin's agitprop.

In fact Putin's thieving corrupted gang in the most pro-Western political force with a real ability to run the country. Putin frequently plays anti-americanism card but has he done anything that really harmed American interests? It looks as no.

It is indeed a very unusual situation Ghost. A private opinion published in one of American newspapers that doesn't contain anything new has been answered by Putin's secretary.

Can you imagine that Obama's secretaty comments a private opinion of Russian author in Russian newspaper?

I think the article touched some sensitive points, exposed a weakness of Putin's regime.

As I have said there is no anything new in the article. Being compared with some Russian publications, the article contains merely soft weighted tactfull critical comments, no more.

But only a minority follows the critical publications and vast number of Raussians simply don't care or/and are brainwashed by TV, by Putin's agitprop.

In fact Putin's thieving corrupted gang in the most pro-Western political force with a real ability to run the country. Putin frequently plays anti-americanism card but has he done anything that really harmed American interests? It looks as no.
I would suspect you are right, but an opinion posted in the news paper is not unusual at all. It's very common in the US and called the "OP-ED" section. I don't think there's anything insidious about it, just a guy or editor wanting to speak out about it. They do it all the time and discussion ranges from the price of tacos to geo-politics.

I would suspect you are right, but an opinion posted in the news paper is not unusual at all. It's very common in the US and called the "OP-ED" section. I don't think there's anything insidious about it, just a guy or editor wanting to speak out about it. They do it all the time and discussion ranges from the price of tacos to geo-politics.
Agreed ghost_us, but Kagan is not the usual "no-brains journo" but has rather strong links into the Republican Party and a very strong reputation among US foreign policy circles. Perhaps that is why the Kremlin has responded.

I would suspect you are right, but an opinion posted in the news paper is not unusual at all. It's very common in the US and called the "OP-ED" section.
As for the opinions then they appear in the Russian mass media as well. One of the most remarkable "opinion-makers" is Mikhail Leontyev.

He is Jewish btw, as the majority of the most talented Russian journalists.

Mikhail Leontyev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Leontyev uses to make his comments (frequently on TV) in undiplomatic and sometimes rude manner. Many (including me)regards him as a Kremlin's mouthpiece and his comments show what the Putin's inner circle really thinks.

Leontyev next to Putin (right hand)

Leontyev's sharp tongue made him many enemies.

Latvia declared Leontyev persona non grata after his sharp words about the country in 2003 interview on Riga television.[7] In 2006, the Ukrainian government banned Leontyev from visiting the country for five years, referring to his "insulting statements" towards Ukraine (denying existence of the Ukrainian national identity).
I suspect that Putin's crew regards mr.Kagan as American 'Leontyev' and by the replay sent the 'message' to the American political elite.

As for the opinions then they appear in the Russian mass media as well. One of the most remarkable "opinion-makers" is Mikhail Leontyev.

He is Jewish btw, as the majority of the most talented Russian journalists.

Mikhail Leontyev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Leontyev uses to make his comments (frequently on TV) in undiplomatic and sometimes rude manner. Many (including me)regards him as a Kremlin's mouthpiece and his comments show what the Putin's inner circle really thinks.

Leontyev next to Putin (right hand)

Leontyev's sharp tongue made him many enemies.

I suspect that Putin's crew regards mr.Kagan as American 'Leontyev' and by the replay sent the 'message' to the American political elite.
Agree. Could be a way of saying something without making it policy :)

Latest Threads