Moron Putin boosts military spendings loosing the sense of reality.

Russian military to purchase 600 planes, 100 ships - Yahoo! News

Russia will spend $650 billion to equip its dilapidated military with 600 new warplanes, 100 ships and 1,000 helicopters by 2020, Defense Ministry officials were quoted as saying Thursday.

The ambitious weapons procurement program also envisages eight new nuclear submarines and two Mistral aircraft carriers in addition to the two that Russia is buying from France, Russian news agencies quoted First Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin as saying.

His announcement comes during a large-scale streamlining of personnel in Russia's bloated and poorly equipped armed forces. The unpopular reforms of Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov have seen as many as 200,000 officers lose their jobs and nine of every 10 army units disbanded.
Several hundred modern mobile S-400 and S-500 air defense missile systems also are on order.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
SO Russia is moving to a smaller, professional armed forces with modern equipment capable of defending herself and projecting limited power when needed? What exactly is wrong with that?

Seems to me Russia is doing the smart thing, in replacing masses of useless obsolete kit with a newer more effective force. It's us that are moronic for scrapping effective, working kit before the newer better stuff is in service.

Are you criticizing him for promising to spend so much (which if half the horror stories I hear about some parts of Russia are true should be spent elsewhere to improve quality of life) or for cutting the size of the Russian military?
Who is Russia looking at as genuine threats to national security, bar the Checens and co?

In that case wouldn't they be best served by dropping the whole moody teenager foreign policy and look to get some allies on board, as at current rates isn't total Chinese miltary spending going to have dwarfed $650 Billion by 2020?

Are you criticizing him for promising to spend so much (which if half the horror stories I hear about some parts of Russia are true should be spent elsewhere to improve quality of life) or for cutting the size of the Russian military?
Who is Russia looking at as genuine threats to national security, bar the Checens and co?
Exactly, some spendings are useless. And I suspect that about a half would be cynically stolen by corrupted officals.

which if half the horror stories I hear about some parts of Russia are true should be spent elsewhere to improve quality of life
Why waste the money? All societies are self regulating. Those with something to offer will elevate themselves, those without.......well, let them eat cake/cabbage.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect of lot of this is going to be focused in the Pacific and in southern Siberia staring through the chinks in the bamboo curtain. No Cold War for us

All aboardski da outrageski bus comrades!

Are you one of the 200,000 officers recently fired from the military? Feeling a little bitter, perhaps?
No. I wore a uniform for a very short period and it happened long ago. Though my brother lt.-col retired about a year ago form strategic missile forces. The salary was too low. Now he has better financial conditions.

Putin is many things, but a moron? I doubt that man has made a stupid decision in his life.

He could outthink(and no doubt outfight)Obama or Cameron, that's for damn sure.
Highly esteemed (former drug taker) mr. Camoron at least has better English. Joke.

[seriously]
Mr. Putin looks as a 'wise ruler' only incomparison with the late pres.Yeltsin. In fact mr.Putin created a corrupted system. His crew is merely a thieving gang. Economical problems remain unresolved. Terrorism is growing. Elections are substituted by appointmets. Russia under Putin's 'leadership' is heading to a catastrophe.

During his yearly answers to questions of 'ordinary Russians' on TV all the questions were pre-orchestrated. Really he is unable to discuss serious matters without propper preparations.
[/seriously]

Nice move I'd say, if the red Army were to regain some credibility perhaps we could get another cold war stoked up!
No, the way the UK is going we should be really nice to Russia in the hope they will help us out should we need some armed support, like the current situation in Libya!! :-(

Nice move I'd say, if the red Army were to regain some credibility perhaps we could get another cold war stoked up!
I'm up for that! I still have my woodland pattern Battle Dress Patrol Cap. Might have to have the commander's hatch of my favorite track modified a mite though...seems to be a bit snug these days.

Latest Threads