Moroccan Villa Complex - £200M Loss

Premier stars face massive losses in £200m Moroccan villa nightmare: Embarrassment for Terry and Ferdinand as project they backed flounders | Mail Online

Everyone loves a sob story about overpaid footballers.......

England footballers Rio Ferdinand and John Terry are among hundreds of Britons who face losing millions of pounds after investing in a holiday villa project in Morocco.
They and other star players, including Joe Cole, Michael Carrick and football pundit Gary Neville, ploughed money into the £200million project believing they would now have the keys to stylish beachside homes – but nothing has been built at the site for four years.
What they were assured would be a luxury resort featuring 1,342 properties, three golf courses and a sports complex is today an abandoned building site. Investors fear there is little prospect of it ever being completed.
And to the embarrassment of the players, many British investors were won over by promotional work they did in return for discounted properties at Le Jardin de Fleur in Saidia.
Daily Fail article so it has a comments box at the bottom....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......oh make it stop....hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......... hahahahahahahahahahahaha
- Stevie, Liverpool, 14/4/2013 1:27
Stevie is currently on +814....Go on give him a click you know you want to...........

Did the project really "flounder"....some sort of flat fish, isn't it?

"Founder" perhaps....oh wait, it's the Mail.

Trevor Cockrell, 55, a semi-retired textile importer from Bolton, faces losing his deposit on a two-bedroom apartment at the resort in Morocco’s Berkane region. He said: ‘A lot of investors are going to be disappointed. At first, everything was fine – we were given flashy promotional material about footballers investing and we thought if they were part of it, it must be a good idea.

With logic like that you deserve everything you get!

Did the project really "flounder"....some sort of flat fish, isn't it?

"Founder" perhaps....oh wait, it's the Mail.
I'm feeling pedantic today.

Oxford Dictionary

Definition of flounder

verb
[no object]
struggle or stagger clumsily in mud or water:he was floundering about in the shallow offshore waters

•
struggle mentally; show or feel great confusion:she floundered, not knowing quite what to say

•
be in serious difficulty: many firms are floundering

I don't give a shit about millionaire footballers losing a few quid.

However hard working normal people who have stuck there money into this, expecting to have somewhere to enjoy in there retirement are victims, and I think it's a bit low to take the piss out of them.

However hard working normal people who have stuck there money into this, expecting to have somewhere to enjoy in there retirement are victims, and I think it's a bit low to take the piss out of them.
How much were you ripped off for?

Hmm;
Speculative venture in a country renowned for its honest dealing, check.
Promised massive return on investment, check.
To happen in a foreign location that is not too cheap to visit in person on spec, check.
Recommended by a wedge of people whose business acumen is limited to getting vast pay packets for playing football and buying cars and girls at inflated prices, check.

What could possibly go wrong? Applications to E. Mong property ventures. Mwahaha Towers.

I'm feeling pedantic today.

Oxford Dictionary

Definition of flounder

verb
[no object]
struggle or stagger clumsily in mud or water:he was floundering about in the shallow offshore waters

•
struggle mentally; show or feel great confusion:she floundered, not knowing quite what to say

•
be in serious difficulty: many firms are floundering
Collins Concise Dictionary "Founder: (2) to break down or fail, the project foundered "

Collins Concise Dictionary "Founder: (2) to break down or fail, the project foundered "
So both would appear to be correct usage. However, it's fecked and we've all been ripped off would appear to be a more appropriate statement.

Dear Esteemed Sir,
Greetings in the name of the LORD.

It has fallen to me, as the chief promotional officer of Matumba Properties, inc, to offer you the guaranteeing of the profits of buildings of the Golf, the Chalet, and the Pool for Swimming and not Latrine, of the Morocco. All is necessary is you send banking details by return of post and many profits, much happiness and the bottoms of small Moroccan boys shall be yours.

In the anticipations and in the name of the LORD,

Mister the John Terry.

So both would appear to be correct usage. However, it's fecked and we've all been ripped off would appear to be a more appropriate statement.
Fair point. I can't help thinking that there's a "Nigerian prince" lurking in the background....

Ah, PF beat me to it.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually the thought of John Terry getting all fecked off over a failed investment made my day.

Dear Esteemed Sir,
Greetings in the name of the LORD.

It has fallen to me, as the chief promotional officer of Matumba Properties, inc, to offer you the guaranteeing of the profits of buildings of the Golf, the Chalet, and the Pool for Swimming and not Latrine, of the Morocco. All is necessary is you send banking details by return of post and many profits, much happiness and the bottoms of small Moroccan boys shall be yours.

In the anticipations and in the name of the LORD,

Mister the John Terry.
Thanks Pigshyt, Im currently awaiting arrest and routine buggerings. This has cheered me up no end.

You didn't film a copper trousering brown envelopes, did you? For your sake I hope you didn't capture an image of Rupert Murdoch in the bogs, casting no reflection in the mirror.
no I'm in Egypt and thanks to the activities of the broadcaster I'm working for (and a rather ill advised clandestine visit to our recently raided and closed bureau to retrieve kit) I am PNG. I have my own 'watcher' who today watched me eat, read and get my hair cut - it seems he'd knocked off just before we went out or drinks - my reporters was there though luckily.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer

I don't think many "normal" people will have fell for this one.

"Ay up our lass fancy retiring abroad"
"Ooh our Trev I'd love to live near that Ray O Ferdinand from Man Utd and the racist from Chelsea"
"Reet Mecico it is I hope there's a postie office to pick up us pensions"

If the hardworking "normal" people plan on spending their retirement in a Muslim country, where presumably they will expect to have their UK "normal" lifestyle etc, then I think they deserve to have the piss taken...particularly in the light of events over the past few years.

I can understand how the peanut brained footballers got taken for a ride though. No sympathy there.

Rodney2q

Hmm;
Speculative venture in a country renowned for its honest dealing, check.
Promised massive return on investment, check.
To happen in a foreign location that is not too cheap to visit in person on spec, check.
Recommended by a wedge of people whose business acumen is limited to getting vast pay packets for playing football and buying cars and girls at inflated prices, check.

What could possibly go wrong? Applications to E. Mong property ventures. Mwahaha Towers.
Whilst there is a degree of "inflation" linked to the physical attributes of WAGS and wannabee WAGS, it is unfair and incorrect of you to state that footballers "buy" or "pay for" girls (with the exception of Mr W roonery). Footballers are quite well-known for simply taking what/who they want. Witness the number of sexual assault charges over the course of the last decades.

Deviating back to the thread - Oh dear, what a shame. My tears are truely those of purple piss.

Latest Threads