Morning runs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by looktowindward, Oct 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to lack of tine in the evenings, I went for a run this morning - I have ATR in 3 weeks so I need to be fitter for then. (I've only been managing 3 miles 2-3 times a week, whereas I find I only really improve if I'm doing that sort of distance 3-5 times a week)

My usual pace on an evening run (After work, about 6:30-7pm) is about 7 min/mile for the first mile or so, 7:30 on a bad day - this morning it was 8:05 which even allowing for the fact I've been slack recently is cr*p. (Only time I've been slower is 48 hours after giving blood!) I'm also hurting a lot, particuarly my shoulders, which I've never had any problems with when running.

So, is a run in the mornings a bad idea fitness-wise or is it something I'll get used to? Anything else I should be doing, like more stretches/warmups if I'm running in the morning instead of the evening?

2. Hello mate,

Its been proven that it doesnt matter if you run at 4pm or 4 am you still get the benefit, also having a strict regime say for example 5 miler every day at 4pm is no more beneficial than a 5 miler everyday whenever you feel like it. With only 3 weeks left you wont get much fitter but keep running and dont pick up an injury. the training staf at the ATR will give you a helping hand! :wink:

Always warm up and cool down and stretch off after running. It will save a lot of hastle and injuries.

Superman

3. I have always been better running in the pm rather than the am even when i was in, i think its just a personal thing..

4. Dude,

Well done for doing the preparation at all - too many knackers turn up in bad order.
    Time of day is personal preference - there are arguments that 1st thing am is harder with lower blood sugar levels, metabolism still slow - but nothing concrete. So long as you odn't overtrain you should be OK.

Ref getting times down, running the same distance again and again won't do more than baseline stamina. Vary the distances across the week - it gives your body and mind something different to engage with. With your timelines I'd go for a fast 1.5-2 miles on monday, steady state 3 miles wed, and nice and slow endurance 5-6 miles friday (and I do mean slow - 8.5-9 min mile even slower) which will get your heart rate right down. You'll find your energy levels lifting and times coming down - even in 3 weeks. You also need this for functional military fitness - explosinve short burst power,m steady 'cruising', and the endurance to hang on in almost indefinately.

Keep your brain engaged by using a heart rate monitor, or by taking a small waterproofed map of your route - just keeping aware of where you are along the way. Alternatively, try to memorise every person/car/event you pass, and write them down in chrono order when you get back. Just wee tricks of getting switched on so you're awake at the switch - and avoid the instructor's ire when you've got lots of basic instructions to fulfil in trgl.

Good luck - and best tip of all - never lose your cool. Workl hard and give everything 100%. If others don't - f uck em!

5. My old PTI told us that in the afternoon your body has had all day to get the muscles going and generally "warm up" as well as a couple of meals inside to give it energy, therefore exercising in the afternoon withh always produce better results.

However, he was always quick to point out, that the Army doesn't just fight in the afternoon, "so get fooking running and stop trying to be clever!" (ah the memories!!)

6. The "strict regime" is more so I get out there and bl**dy do it, otherwise it's too easy to slip.

I'm TA, so it's a case of turn up and pass, or RTU. And I'd like to pass *well*. (Partly 'cos I'm interested in RMAS and I understand the phys requirements are stricter there) I find that constant training makes quite a difference - if I don't do any running for 3/4 days or longer I'm back up to 11:30-12:00 on a 1.5-miler, after 3 days of daily training it's more like 10:30-11:00.

I'm also not sure when we'll do the BPFA - on TAFS 2 we did it after an hour instead of 45 mins of PT that morning plus running up and down stairs all day. Oh, and no water from waking up until after the BPFA. I didn't do as well as I'd have hoped as a result, but I've *heard* with ATR it's done on the first or second day with no PT that morning - I'd like to have a large buffer zone in case that's not true. :)

I think that may have been my mistake this morning, stretched both before and after but when I got back it was basically stretch->shower->dressed->work. I guess I might need a longer warm up too, I usually just warm up by starting off with a jog, perhaps a walk would be better.

I might stick to morning runs, although if I'm doing PT on a drill night doing a run that morning or the morning after may be excessive, so it gets difficult to fit in that way too...

7. I'm TA, so I *hope* everyone will turn up able to do at least the BPFA run if the units are doing their jobs properly! (I'm worried about my pushups at the moment as I could only do about 25 in 2 mins last time I tried properly. Getting better quickly though using the Do-20-every-hour-or-so technique, should be up to 40-50 by ATR at the current rate)

Useful, thanks... I sometimes run the 1.5-mile route after work that we use on drill night (I work literally next door to the TA Centre, I can see the garages out the window there ---->) so I'll use that option more often than I have been doing, and try to find a longer course close to home.

8. I'm sure I read something somewhere about running in the mornings being better for marathon prep.
    The theory is that that doing a swift 5 miles on an empty stomach makes your body work harder because you are in glycogen debt
    Recommeded food intake is a bowl of porrige or soggies before beddybyes and a decent fluid intake up to bed time.

the other theory was that running gives the old endorphins a kick start in the morning and also leaves your day clear so you don't spend all day worrying when you can fit a training run in ( some people do really !! )

Me personally ? I'm crap at morning runs