Morning Fuel?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack06, Sep 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys
    Just interested in finding out what everyone uses for fuel before going for a run in the morning. I would be getting up relatively early in the morning so having a big breakfast and waiting an hour or two before I run isn't really an option. But then again, don't have much body fat so if I run on an empty stomach and start burning it off, ill slowly but surely fade away :eek:. My initial idea was to have a banana sandwich (with wholemeal bread) for energy but just thought i'd check what everyone else does.
    thanks in advance
    jack

2. **** sarnies are good.If you don't have any ****, eat a $hit sarnie.

3. Couple of slices of toast does it for me

4. cheers cav
    anything on toast, and is it white or wholemeal?

5. Any food will switch your system out of "asleep" mode and therefore you will lose the fat-burning effect. Orange juice or similar will suffice. If I'm running a distance I'll drink chocolate milk before I go out. Avoid anything with artificial sweetener as your body thinks this is sugar and produces insulin to counter it. Just my two bob's worth.

6. Jack, I often go for a run in the early mornings at weekends. I've found that an ideal combination for me is a couple of Lucozade glucose tablets and one flapjack bar, plus a cuppa. It's light enough to allow me to start my run more or less immediately. The glucose tabs give me enough energy at the start and the carbs in the flapjack bar keep me going. Maybe it'd suit you too.

MsG

7. thanks for the advice guys, I would be getting up at say 5:30 and going running at 6, so anything that lets me run almost immediately would be th best choice
    thanks again

8. Jack, go for a couple of Bananas every time...slow release of energy to last the entire run. Works for me

9. hi sniffer
    yer sounds good, does the 'heaviness' of the bananas contribute to a stitch?

10. few good cans of wife beater dos it for me.

11. cheers freedom another useful post

12. bananas and custard mate

13. just passing on a bit of advice.

14. Ambrosia Creamed Rice, (tin of), the night before is fab also.

15. Jaffa cakes..

Well, if they're good enough for Guinness Premiership clubs.......