More Union Muscle Flexing on Run Up to Olympics

Maybe the viewers and taxpayers should strike

Doing it with a finger or two,eyes scrunched a bit near the screen, trying to make sure I don't make a mess or mistake in the process.

Perhaps we should be training up a few soldiers. sailors and even, dare I say it, airmen, to drive trains and maintain track. That'll ****'em.

Perhaps we should be training up a few soldiers. sailors and even, dare I say it, airmen, to drive trains and maintain track. That'll ****'em.
No need! Me and a pile of my mates can't find work for love nor hard graft- Just show us where to lay our signatures and we'll do the damned job for the offered bloody rate and nary a peep of politicking will you hear of us.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's all down to when TfL took over Metronet, their staff kept their perks like free travel in London and 75% discount on Mainline as part of the TUPE process, it now seems that Tubelines want the same, although it's not part of their T&Cs.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
WHen do you suggest they do strike for better pay, when they don't have a bargaining lever prehaps?
It's not pay that they want, it's perks!

WHen do you suggest they do strike for better pay, when they don't have a bargaining lever prehaps?
Oh, I'm not for one moment suggesting that now isn't a good time to strike (or to threaten to), in fact, quite the opposite. What I am saying is that we will see more and more of this sort of thing as the Olympics get closer and closer. The unions know full well that the Government cannot afford a major round of industrial action, either during or on the run up, so the unions will use this to their advantage. As I said, not blaming them for their timing, although I don't agree with this sort of thing anyway.

I suppose, who next? Any bets?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Oh, I'm not for one moment suggesting that now isn't a good time to strike (or to threaten to), in fact, quite the opposite. What I am saying is that we will see more and more of this sort of thing as the Olympics get closer and closer. The unions know full well that the Government cannot afford a major round of industrial action, either during or on the run up, so the unions will use this to their advantage. As I said, not blaming them for their timing, although I don't agree with this sort of thing anyway.

I suppose, who next? Any bets?
Just keep your eye on UNITE they are bound to create some mischief I hope.

Protection racket

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A protection racket is an extortion scheme whereby a criminal group or individual coerces a victim (usually a business) to pay money, supposedly for protection services against violence or property damage. Racketeers coerce reticent potential victims into buying "protection" by demonstrating what will happen if they don't—they damage the victims' property. In most cases, the racketeers do not actually protect their client from anything but the racketeers themselves, and their "protection" is merely extortion. However, if their victim is seriously threatened by a third party, sometimes gangsters will protect their source of revenue.

Legitimate businesses are not the only victims of protection racketeers. Other criminals are also targeted, since they cannot ask police to stop the extortion. However, for that same reason, criminals sometimes actively seek to buy this "protection". Paradoxically, in a parasitic relationship, the parasite both damages the host and prefers that the host remain healthy. Thus, when criminals are cheated or abused (e.g., a cocaine dealer is swindled by his supplier) they cannot turn to the police and instead rely on powerful gangsters to protect the gangsters' income.
The person who periodically visits the victim to collect protection payments is called a "bag man".

It's not pay that they want, it's perks!

Boils down to the same thing really. What bugs me it's always reported that bothersome Unions want something, never managment refused to give something or took something away, there is a difference.

Boils down to the same thing really. What bugs me it's always reported that bothersome Unions want something, never managment refused to give something or took something away, there is a difference.
What bugs me is when everybody complains about rising prices, but nobody ever reports what the underlying reason is. Hence how Britain priced itself out of the world market for almost everything over the past 60 years.

IF IT WASN'T FOR THE UNIONS
(Matt McGinn)
Toora loora loora loo
I'll tell you something awfu' true
Wouldn't have your telly the noo
If it wasn't for the union

I had a boss in Aberdeen
The nicest fella that ever was seen
He must have thought me helluva green
Before I joined the union

I had a boss named Allardyce
He was really helluva nice
Except for the way he loaded the dice
Before I joined the union

A pal of mine has bought a car
A second-handed Jaguar
He wouldn't hae travelled half as far

The bosses they were doing fine
Little children working down the mine
They'd have them on the assembly lines

So men and women all agree
It's time to rise up off your knee
And raise the banner of unity
Forward with the union

The Strawbs had it right:

Now I'm a union man
Amazed at what I am
I say what I think, that the company stinks
Yes I'm a union man

When we meet in the local hall
I'll be voting with them all
With a hell of a shout, it's "Out brothers, out!"
And the rise of the factory's fall

Oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
You don't get me, I'm part of the union
Until the day I die
Until the day I die

The union has made me wise
To the lies of the company spies
And I don't get fooled by the factory rules
'cause I always read between the lines

And I always get my way
If I strike for higher pay
When I show my card to the Scotland Yard
And this is what I say:

Oh, oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
Until the day I die
Until the day I die

Before the union did appear
My life was half as clear
Now I've got the power to the working hour
And every other day of the year

So though I'm a working man
I can ruin the government's plan
And though I'm not hard, the sight of my card
Makes me some kind of superman

Oh, oh, oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
Until the day I die
Until the day I die

Until the day I die
Until the day I die

The working class can kiss my arrse, I've got the Steward's job at last...

'Better Pay'? They are some of the best paid industry workers in the country.
What next? You want them all awarded company cars and gold plated elephants?

Just keep your eye on UNITE they are bound to create some mischief I hope.
Agreed, all their mail have 'vote to strike' plastered all over it recently.

Unsure if it's just my area though.

Payback time for militant unions after the Olympics?.

2.point whatever million unemployed and the total going north,especially after many jobs dissappear after the Olympics.

If there's anyone with cojones in the present government,the coming autumn will be the time to tame the unions once and for all.

Thank Christ we "won" the Olympic bid eh? The whole Olympic 2012 thing leaves me completely cold; from the logos, "team GB" (what a load of bollocks), Trade Unions trying it on, traffic lanes, travel plans for Industry (like that is going to make it any easier getting into central London), elite ticket allocations, Paula Ratcliffe's latest ailment, David Beckham's will he or won't he captain the team (who cares), security nightmares, hotels taking the piss etc etc. Boring, boring, boring - worse than the Titanic overkill if that is possible. The only good thing to come out of the whole sorry business is the TV series 2012! I wonder how close that is to reality? :)