More Union Muscle Flexing on Run Up to Olympics

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Infiltrator, Apr 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the tube drivers have been bribed to not strike (although they have still been chuntering that they want more and may walk out anyway), so now the maintainers are kicking off too!

BBC News - Tube workers vote to strike over pay row

London to be held to ransom?
  2. Maybe the viewers and taxpayers should strike

Doing it with a finger or two,eyes scrunched a bit near the screen, trying to make sure I don't make a mess or mistake in the process.
  3. Perhaps we should be training up a few soldiers. sailors and even, dare I say it, airmen, to drive trains and maintain track. That'll ****'em.
  4. No need! Me and a pile of my mates can't find work for love nor hard graft- Just show us where to lay our signatures and we'll do the damned job for the offered bloody rate and nary a peep of politicking will you hear of us.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. It's all down to when TfL took over Metronet, their staff kept their perks like free travel in London and 75% discount on Mainline as part of the TUPE process, it now seems that Tubelines want the same, although it's not part of their T&Cs.
  6. WHen do you suggest they do strike for better pay, when they don't have a bargaining lever prehaps?
  7. It's not pay that they want, it's perks!
  8. Oh, I'm not for one moment suggesting that now isn't a good time to strike (or to threaten to), in fact, quite the opposite. What I am saying is that we will see more and more of this sort of thing as the Olympics get closer and closer. The unions know full well that the Government cannot afford a major round of industrial action, either during or on the run up, so the unions will use this to their advantage. As I said, not blaming them for their timing, although I don't agree with this sort of thing anyway.

I suppose, who next? Any bets?
  9. Just keep your eye on UNITE they are bound to create some mischief I hope.
  10. Protection racket

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A protection racket is an extortion scheme whereby a criminal group or individual coerces a victim (usually a business) to pay money, supposedly for protection services against violence or property damage. Racketeers coerce reticent potential victims into buying "protection" by demonstrating what will happen if they don't—they damage the victims' property. In most cases, the racketeers do not actually protect their client from anything but the racketeers themselves, and their "protection" is merely extortion. However, if their victim is seriously threatened by a third party, sometimes gangsters will protect their source of revenue.

Legitimate businesses are not the only victims of protection racketeers. Other criminals are also targeted, since they cannot ask police to stop the extortion. However, for that same reason, criminals sometimes actively seek to buy this "protection". Paradoxically, in a parasitic relationship, the parasite both damages the host and prefers that the host remain healthy. Thus, when criminals are cheated or abused (e.g., a cocaine dealer is swindled by his supplier) they cannot turn to the police and instead rely on powerful gangsters to protect the gangsters' income.
    The person who periodically visits the victim to collect protection payments is called a "bag man".

11. Boils down to the same thing really. What bugs me it's always reported that bothersome Unions want something, never managment refused to give something or took something away, there is a difference.
  12. What bugs me is when everybody complains about rising prices, but nobody ever reports what the underlying reason is. Hence how Britain priced itself out of the world market for almost everything over the past 60 years.
    • Like Like x 1
    (Matt McGinn)
    Toora loora loora loo
    I'll tell you something awfu' true
    Wouldn't have your telly the noo
    If it wasn't for the union

I had a boss in Aberdeen
    The nicest fella that ever was seen
    He must have thought me helluva green
    Before I joined the union

I had a boss named Allardyce
    He was really helluva nice
    Except for the way he loaded the dice
    Before I joined the union

A pal of mine has bought a car
    A second-handed Jaguar
    He wouldn't hae travelled half as far

The bosses they were doing fine
    Little children working down the mine
    They'd have them on the assembly lines

So men and women all agree
    It's time to rise up off your knee
    And raise the banner of unity
    Forward with the union
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Strawbs had it right:

Now I'm a union man
    Amazed at what I am
    I say what I think, that the company stinks
    Yes I'm a union man

When we meet in the local hall
    I'll be voting with them all
    With a hell of a shout, it's "Out brothers, out!"
    And the rise of the factory's fall

Oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
    You don't get me, I'm part of the union
    Until the day I die
    Until the day I die

The union has made me wise
    To the lies of the company spies
    And I don't get fooled by the factory rules
    'cause I always read between the lines

And I always get my way
    If I strike for higher pay
    When I show my card to the Scotland Yard
    And this is what I say:

Oh, oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
    Until the day I die
    Until the day I die

Before the union did appear
    My life was half as clear
    Now I've got the power to the working hour
    And every other day of the year

So though I'm a working man
    I can ruin the government's plan
    And though I'm not hard, the sight of my card
    Makes me some kind of superman

Oh, oh, oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
    Until the day I die
    Until the day I die

Until the day I die
    Until the day I die
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The working class can kiss my arrse, I've got the Steward's job at last...
    • Like Like x 1