More Twitter Outrage

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Jul 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry, just seen the Tom Daley incident has been done over in the NAAFI

On a slightly different tangent...

How seriously should comments on either Twitter or Facebook be taken by the general public?

Some guy makes a stupid, off-hand, pissed off remark about an airport, he ends up on trial. Somebody says something about Tom Daley's dad for mucking up at the Olympics and he gets arrested for malicious intent.

We're starting to see more and more of this. Anything you say on the internet can and will be held against you, regardless of the context. It really bothers me how seriously such comments are taken.

Taking the Tom Daley incident as an example, had the suspect actually threated to, say, dig his father up and piss all over his decomposing corpse, I would have understood. Had he threatened Daley in any way, I would also be willing to sympathise to some extent. Instead some daft 17 year old lad who got a bit carried away ends up in handcuffs because the public can't stand to see a celebrity have their feelings hurt?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Done already
  3. Edited original post for a slightly more in depth discussion.
  4. Our society is becoming more and more pathetic as people become more and more sensitive. People don't man up and carry on, instead they have to sue someone or blame someone else for their problems. Paedophiles are almost excused their crimes because they suffered in their childhood, thus making it ok for their victims to carry out crimes. Wife beaters are sympathised with because their dad beat up their mum and thats how they think the world works, so they should be treated with kid gloves. Black people can't be racist because they have suffered slavery (along with the rest of us).........l.and so it goes on and on and on. Lefty, hippy, namby pamby liberal fucks have a lot to answer for.

I blame Labour.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. With the example quoted in the OP, I believe the troll eventually got round to telling Daley he was going to try and kill him.

On the wider issue, I think the Police are a) going for an easy collar and/or b) doing whatever they can to stay in line with popular opinion - so, blame the weakness of Joe Public or the attitude of the increasingly politically focussed and populist Police leadership...

From my point of view, Police are far quicker to deal with people being ********* in internet-land than real life which is a shame.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Most of us rip the shite out of each other here on Arrse and non of us get upset and cry like big tarts , you put up or piss far ! sadly sooner or later I think some little prick will try to make a point about the nasty men on Arrse.
  7. I'll say here what I said on the other thread: Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? Some folk need to let it go in one ear and out the other, and GROW THE **** UP!!

Listen, I've been given some crap from some members of this site and to a lesser extent in the real world. Does it make one iota of difference to me? Does it hell! You have to be a weak character if it does affect you seriously. (Note, I am not talking of serious death threats, just the name calling).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I think it's about the desire of so many people wanting to share their thoughts with the world. What with FB, twitter, e mail et al it's too easy to become a global pillock with the push of a button.
    (I also blame Labour ;-) )
  9. There have been a few occasions where some have taken offence and lawyers letters have been received by the ARRSE management types....usually resulting in the offending posts being removed. Fortunately, no one has been arrested as yet.
  10. Indeed you are right....all helped along by a greedy backstabbing filthy press
  11. its starting to get a fucked up place to live in, when i split with my ex in November she was mailing me constantly, i told her to **** off along with a few other words ;) and she got me arrested for that haha online harassment or some shit! The point is you cant even say something to someone these days without them calling the old bill on you for something so pathetic! some people just need to learn to take it on the chin and get on with their lifes instead of worrying...
  12. What bothers me is that he's a celebrity athlete - he's up there in cloud cuckoo land unlike the majority of us, probably including or seventeen year old tweeterer or whatever you call them. Social media's a good thing, it comes in handy in a lot of instances but the stir it causes is ridiculous. Close to mob justice, I feel. Provided it's not an ingrained, permanent thing, you should be able to say what you like. That's the point, is it not?

I am getting thoroughly tired of being told what I can and can't do in a country I help pay to run. That's not to say that I won't obey the law. I just expect the law to be upheld with some common sense.
  13. People have to live together & there have to be norms of behaviour so that we all get along. Therefore there must be rules and ways of enforcing them so that everyone is happy.

If we all had plenty of space none of the above would be an issue really. with the net it's like we're all living in the same room. Thus, whatever we say in a public forum is like bawling it out through a loud haler down the street. That means the whole of community knows.

If I say something upsetting about m' learned friend Cabana then that's between me and him. If I post it on the world wide web then it goes beyond just upsetting, all his friends, both of them, family, colleagues and air soft comrades are upset too.

I believe that if you say something inappropriate in a community, then that community has a right to take you to task.

Twatter and facefuck are both communities, so is Arrse and the 'Gibson's dog' scandle of a few months ago reflects how that community holds its members responsible. It makes it clear in the stickies what is and isn't acceptable and enforces those rules.

Go down the pub & upset a punter, get barred. Go on Arrse and use racially insulting words, get banned.
    Go on twitter and Facebook and troll and go to jail.

What's there not to like?

It's not what you say it's where you say it.

I agree that the little shit got busted for his comments. You let your dad down... ****. Imagine your 17 year old son had done that. I'd kick him to ****.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Agreed Cabana, though in this case the press got the story the wrong way round. The twittertwat's thread was very lengthy and included death threats and racist abuse directed at other users. This is a scrote who, in the old days, would have been taken to the back of the nick and given a slapping. Personally, I wouldn't touch Twitter with a bargepole..
  15. The problem isn't people calling the old bill, it's the old bill reacting to it and going as far as to make arrests based on it.

As long as you didn't tell your ex-wife you were going to rape and/or murder her, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't have been involved.