More Turmoil for Israel

After failing to secure back-to-back wins in Eurovision 2019, it looks like Israel will be facing another election after PM Netanyahu (he of the various corruption allegations) has failed to stitch together a viable coalition. Yet another example of the political turmoil that's been pounding western democracy since 2016.

'Israeli lawmakers voted to dissolve parliament on Thursday, paving the way for a new election after veteran Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu failed to form a coalition government before a midnight deadline. Netanyahu preferred a new ballot, set for Sept. 17, to the alternative, under which Israeli President Reuven Rivlin could have asked another politician to try and form a ruling coalition. The election, Israel’s second this year after an April 9 poll in which Netanyahu claimed victory, means unprecedented upheaval even for a country used to political infighting.'

Israel faces fresh poll as Netanyahu fails to form government - Reuters

Yet another example of the political turmoil that's been pounding western democracy since 2016.
Israel (a Middle Eastern country) is in the West now already? Who knew my boy.

midst all the turmoil we had the pleasure of hosting some war wounded former squaddies this week - any Arrsers recognize themselves here?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Definitely not in the geographic west, but practices a form of western-style democracy.
Or more precisely "a form of South African-style apartheid policy".

MsG

Or more precisely "a form of South African-style apartheid policy".

MsG
That may be a way to characterise their policies, but I've never heard apartheid considered as a model of government.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Apartheid is a model of gobment (just as it was in South Africa), especially when it's enshrined in a new constitution. As here:
Israel’s hugely controversial "nation-state" law, explained
and here:
Israeli Law Declares the Country the ‘Nation-State of the Jewish People’

MsG
I didn't ask you about what you trawled off google or what Jeremy's core team frantically sent you.
I asked you "Where and when did you encounter this policy in Israel?"
Was that question a bit too difficult to understand petal?

Last edited:
I didn't ask you about what you trawled off google or what Jeremy's core team frantically sent you.
I asked you "Where and when did you encounter this policy in Israel?"
Was that question a bit too difficult to understand petal?
Bugsy pretends that the SWP is an actual political party and their pamphlets actually mean something.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apartheid is a model of gobment (just as it was in South Africa), especially when it's enshrined in a new constitution. As here:
Israel’s hugely controversial "nation-state" law, explained
and here:
Israeli Law Declares the Country the ‘Nation-State of the Jewish People’

MsG
So are you saying that countries exhibiting control over the natives are guilty of apartheid? If the answer is yes, please include the following:
USA - guilty of genocide against Native Americans
Canada - genocide against First Nations
Australia - treatment of Aborigines
New Zealand - treatment of Maoris
Britain - slave trade, treatment of colonials.
Ireland - treatment of Protestants
India - caste system
Spain - Basques
French - Algeria

The list could include virtually every African nation, countries in South America (treatment of Incas, Aztecs etc), it is endless, so stop harping on about your chosen little rant and look at the wider view.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
So are you saying that countries exhibiting control over the natives are guilty of apartheid? If the answer is yes, please include the following:
USA - guilty of genocide against Native Americans
Canada - genocide against First Nations
Australia - treatment of Aborigines
New Zealand - treatment of Maoris
Britain - slave trade, treatment of colonials.
Ireland - treatment of Protestants
India - caste system
Spain - Basques
French - Algeria

The list could include virtually every African nation, countries in South America (treatment of Incas, Aztecs etc), it is endless, so stop harping on about your chosen little rant and look at the wider view.
You missed the nations of the Arabian Peninsula and their treatment of workers from the Indian subcontinent.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
For the terminally stupid and semi-literate! This thread is about Israel, not any other country (either past or present).

I'm actually surprised that so many in the categories mentioned in the first sentence are so eager and willing to deploy "whataboutery" arguments when it suits them, but immediately denounce others who do. Fancy that, eh?:smile::smile::smile:

MsG