More Trouble For The Murdochs

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Ofcom steps up test of James Murdoch's fitness to keep BSkyB role | Media | The Guardian (c) The Grauniad

Ofcom have set up a team to see if James Murdoch is a "fit and proper person" to head up Sky TV, and whether News Corporation is a fit and proper investor.

If they come to the conclusion that neither party fits the bill, Sky will have to turn its self off, or divest itself of both its chairman and largest shareholder.

Given the forced closure of NOTW, and the various police operations involving News Corp, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Murdochs weren't given a **** off tablet by the regulator.

This is all off the back of the Leveson Inquiry by the way.

The Murdochs aren't fit and proper to run a pissoir IMO.
But then my meeja credentials are limited to reading the Beano so perhaps tests, and not just a big FO are warranted

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
But Draco was in charge of the papers when the midden hit the windmill.
You may think that but he'll soon be denying having seen the email, been at the meeting or being told by sundry Lawyers, editors and flunkies that he was in charge. ;)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
You may think that but he'll soon be denying having seen the email, been at the meeting or being told by sundry Lawyers, editors and flunkies that he was in charge. ;)
So apart from being Daddy's Little Soldier, what was he being paid for?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm waiting for the Murdoch's to strike back.
They've had pretty much every P.M. and shed loads of polititions,police and celebs in their back pockets for years.
I'm sure once they've absorbed all the damage from Prescott.Vaz and Campbell they will fire a broadside of their own.
Sky T.V. alone employs 17,000 people no way will he Govermet let hem dum that many on the dole at one point.

So apart from being Daddy's Little Soldier, what was he being paid for?
Those filters on the Executive Coffee machine have got to changed by someone you know.
I'd like to think that he was being paid large amounts to, in part, oversee the integrity of a major media organisation, rather than just tongueing his dads ring with sales figures in the race to inheirit the family jewels.
But then I'm merry on Lagavulin so my views are worth so much pixie dust.

The Murdochs aren't fit and proper to run a pissoir IMO.
Do not even consider sending those two to clean my pissoir, I am very particular about its cleanliness. Those two would probably cover the place in shite.

Do not even consider sending those two to clean my pissoir, I am very particular about its cleanliness. Those two would probably cover the place in shite.
That's the Aussie in them, durty durty baestewards.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm waiting for the Murdoch's to strike back.
They've had pretty much every P.M. and shed loads of polititions,police and celebs in their back pockets for years.
I'm sure once they've absorbed all the damage from Prescott.Vaz and Campbell they will fire a broadside of their own.
Sky T.V. alone employs 17,000 people no way will he Govermet let hem dum that many on the dole at one point.
Any striking back will be put on hold until about 6 months before the next election and all sides know it. Question now, is will OFCOM bite or suck? Take a look at their registered interests and I would say the lot of them have a fair old stake in not rocking boats. Too many nice Quango posts on offer and maybe a sniff at the Lords? (Oh, Lilley doesn't mention that in '08 he was News International Visiting Professor of Broadcast Media at Oxford Uni).

[h=2]Lord Blackwell (Member)[/h]
  • Lord Blackwell sits as a Conservative Peer in the House of Lords
  • Chairman, Interserve plc
  • Senior Independent Director, Standard Life plc
  • Board member of the Centre for Policy Studies
  • Non executive Director of Halma plc.
  • Commissioner of Postcomm
[h=2]Tim Gardam (Member)[/h]
  • Principal of St Anne’s College, Oxford
  • Director of St Anne’s College Services Limited
  • Chair of the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism at Oxford University
[h=2]Dr David Levy (Member)[/h]
  • Non-executive board member, France 24
  • Member of Oxford Global media, group of independent media consultants
  • Director, Reuters Institute, University of Oxford
  • Pensioner, BBC
[h=2]Anthony Lilley (Member)[/h]
  • Director of Magic Lantern Productions Limited
  • Director of Edinburgh International Television Festival
  • Director of Insider Online Media Ltd
  • Chair of Lighthouse Arts and Training Ltd
  • Trustee of English National Opera
  • Director of Zespa Media Ltd
  • Commissioner on the Board of the Gambling Commission

And don't forget that Tim Gardam was the boss of Channel 4 programming, and - IIRC - his tenure was marked by the occasional bit of criticism of the way in which some of those putting documentaries together behaved (almost like NotW/Sun journos, allegedly...)

It appears that Ms Brooks has had her collar felt again.
Rebekah Brooks re-arrested in hacking probe - report | Reuters

"(Reuters) - Police arrested Rebekah Brooks, the former News of the World editor and close associate to Rupert Murdoch, for a second time on Tuesday in a new round of detentions in the phone-hacking scandal, Sky News reported.

Police confirmed they had held five men and one woman in dawn raids across the country on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice, with the woman described as 43-years-old and living in Oxford.

Brooks, who has become a central figure in the phone hacking scandal, is 43-years-old and lives in Oxfordshire.

Sky News, which is part owned by Murdoch's media group, said her husband Charlie Brooks had also been detained.

The long-running saga has shaken Murdoch's News Corp and damaged the police and politicians from all major political parties, who have been shown to be extremely close to Brooks and other Murdoch executives.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister David Cameron was forced to admit that he had ridden a horse given to the couple by the police.

Police working on Operation Weeting said the five men and one woman were held between 0500 and 0700 GMT on Tuesday morning in addresses in Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Hertfordshire and East and West London.

A number of those addresses were still being searched.

Police said in a statement that the six were held following a consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, the department which prosecutes criminal cases investigated by the police, but a spokesman would not say whether the six had been arrested before.

Operation Weeting was set up to investigate the allegation that journalists and investigators working for the News of the World tabloid repeatedly hacked into mobile phones to generate stories.

One of the descriptions of those arrested - police declined to name them - also fitted the description of James Murdoch, but two sources said he was currently in the United States.

News Corp declined to comment on the arrests."

And the BBC claim her husband Charlie Brooks, is also included.
BBC News - Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks arrested in Weeting probe

It appears that Ms Brooks has had her collar felt again.
Rebekah Brooks re-arrested in hacking probe - report | Reuters

"(Reuters) - Police arrested Rebekah Brooks, the former News of the World editor and close associate to Rupert Murdoch, for a second time on Tuesday in a new round of detentions in the phone-hacking scandal, Sky News reported.

Police confirmed they had held five men and one woman in dawn raids across the country on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice, with the woman described as 43-years-old and living in Oxford.

Brooks, who has become a central figure in the phone hacking scandal, is 43-years-old and lives in Oxfordshire.

Sky News, which is part owned by Murdoch's media group, said her husband Charlie Brooks had also been detained.

The long-running saga has shaken Murdoch's News Corp and damaged the police and politicians from all major political parties, who have been shown to be extremely close to Brooks and other Murdoch executives.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister David Cameron was forced to admit that he had ridden a horse given to the couple by the police.

Police working on Operation Weeting said the five men and one woman were held between 0500 and 0700 GMT on Tuesday morning in addresses in Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Hertfordshire and East and West London.

A number of those addresses were still being searched.

Police said in a statement that the six were held following a consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, the department which prosecutes criminal cases investigated by the police, but a spokesman would not say whether the six had been arrested before.

Operation Weeting was set up to investigate the allegation that journalists and investigators working for the News of the World tabloid repeatedly hacked into mobile phones to generate stories.

One of the descriptions of those arrested - police declined to name them - also fitted the description of James Murdoch, but two sources said he was currently in the United States.

News Corp declined to comment on the arrests."

And the BBC claim her husband Charlie Brooks, is also included.
BBC News - Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks arrested in Weeting probe
Apparently they have been arrested on conspiracy to pervert the course of justice......(she could 'pervert' me).......

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I just hope that the various media outlets (including the BBC who are almost wetting themselves over this) don't put out too much information thus giving the slimy guilty (oops sorry Innocent until proven Guilty) sods a chance to slide away saying they have no chance of a fair trial due to press speculation!!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Police working on Operation Weeting said the five men and one woman were held between 0500 and 0700 GMT on Tuesday morning
I do hope the Rozzers have been offered counselling. The thought of dragging Twiglet Brooks out of its fox-piss stinking scratcher before breakfast has me turning cold.

Maybe a legal expert can correct me, but time was conspiracy was the only case in English law where it was down to the accused to prove they were innocent of the charge rather than the usual 'innocent until proved guilty' with the onus on the prosecution to prove guilt?