More troops for Afghanistan

Now here's a surprise, coming the day after confirmation of a reduction of troop numbers in SandPit 1 (scarily similar numbers):

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1252891,00.html

Extra troops Confirmed
Updated: 18:14, Friday February 23, 2007

The Defence Secretary has confirmed that extra British troops, perhaps more than 1,000, are to be sent to Afghanistan to combat an expected spring offensive by the Taliban.

In a Statement Des Browne said the decision had been taken after efforts to persuade other Nato countries to help bolster the force in the volatile Helmand province failed.

"We are acutely aware that our Armed Forces, particularly the Army, continue to operate at a high operational tempo, but we believe this additional commitment is manageable," he said.

Sky's Defence Analyst Francis Tusa said the rise in British troop numbers was "no surprise".

He said: "Firstly it was known from when the deployment in Helmand began that the initial force was undermanned.
Latest victim: Jonathan Holland
Latest victim: Jonathan Holland

"Then the risk of a Taliban spring offensive and the problems of getting other NATO nations to join in means that extra troops were absolutely inevitable."

NATO currently has 35,000 troops in Afghanistan, including 5,600 British troops mainly stationed in Helmand province.

NATO commanders have been complaining for some time that they do not have enough troops in the country to inflict a decisive defeat on the Taliban.

Meanwhile, a Royal Marine from 45 Commando killed on Wednesday by an anti-personnel mine during a routine patrol in the Sangin District of Helmand has been named as Jonathan Holland, 23, from Chorley, Lancashire.

A Marine who died in the UK after he was injured in a road accident while on patrol in Afghanistan has been named as 23-year-old Scott Summers from Crawley, East Sussex.

Marine Summers, from 42 Commando, was injured in an accident while driving a Pinzgauer vehicle as part of a routine convoy in Helmand province, Afghanistan, on February 4.
Now that's how you cure overstretch :evil:

Please don't tell me you didn't see this coming...

US reduce troops in Southern Stan and sent 20,000 towards eye-rack.

The UK reduce troops in eye-rack and send them to Germany to do Optag (Afghan course)

It didn't take the brains of a US President to work that one out.

Trust me, this was a no-brainer. Not that I am an old-seasoned cynic.

So which units that were due to go on the next TELIC will now be flicked to HERRICK? After the units that were comfirmed for TELIC there don't seem to be many left over - all looks like smoke and mirrors to me. Perhaps the extra commitment will be some kind of theatre reserve.........

Whistleblower said:
So which units that were due to go on the next TELIC will now be flicked to HERRICK? After the units that were comfirmed for TELIC there don't seem to be many left over - all looks like smoke and mirrors to me. Perhaps the extra commitment will be some kind of theatre reserve.........
It doesn't mean that the next Telic Units will become Herrick units. It just means that when it comes to the point were Herrick needs the next Battlegroup to take over President Blair has another one to play with.

It also means that the PWRR may actually get to spend more than twenty five minutes in a civilised country.

(Yeah Germany)

Joined up Government?

Bliar tries to get Brownie points (no pun intended Gordon), announcing withdrawals from Iraq.

Then its decided more troops are needed in AfStan.

Why not simply move some from one theatre to the other?

Oh right - so all the press have got it wrong then? When they talk about 1000 extra troops needed to stop the Taleban Spring Offensive (Spring being March/April time i assume?) and Bliar talks about 1600 being withdrawn by May (which by definition would be Troops training now for the next Telic - ie 1600 who will not now deploy) - don't you see any connection there?

Whistleblower said:
Oh right - so all the press have got it wrong then? When they talk about 1000 extra troops needed to stop the Taleban Spring Offensive (Spring being March/April time i assume?) and Bliar talks about 1600 being withdrawn by May (which by definition would be Troops training now for the next Telic - ie 1600 who will not now deploy) - don't you see any connection there?
Well considering Telic is keeping Armoured and Mech units busy and Herrick is making the light regiments earn their wages then it would seem silly to retrain an Armoured Peace Support Battlegroup so that they can do a Light role Conventional Warfare tour. Your more likely to see the light role Bn's from the new Super Duper Regts getting some "Trigger time in the stan"

Although i have been wrong that one time years ago