More support to help people to become HGV drivers among package of government measures to ease risk of shortages

No mention of scrapping the hated CPC, one of the main reasons why people are leaving the industry?
The two employers representatives both mentioned how relieved they were that foreign labour is now being allowed back in, but never mentioned that the people they represent should maybe have paid their drivers more? Treated them better?
No mention of extra truck stops or decent facilities?
Free medicals, courses and tests for new starters?
My qualifications and ongoing training/CPC have cost me thousands.
Will I get a rebate?
We are the most regulated and investigated industry in the country. We have to know transport laws to the same level as a police officer.
We are filmed in the yard, in loading bays, on customers premises and now in our cabs.
Our actions are recorded from the minute we turn up for work to the very second we leave.
But apparently we are the backbone of the economy.
Well, start treating us like we are then, and you may not have this situation again.

^wot he said.
I’m a shiny arrse desk-wallah, but my dad and brothers drive/drove HGV.
My dad is 71 tomorrow (26th) and needing a third hip replacement.
He had to quit aged 65 when he was delivering to a supermarket in Bristol, slipped on ice and broke a hip. He lives in Stafford, and was in Bristol for 10 weeks. Nice for me mum to visit. Eventually they moved him nearer home for the next 10 weeks.
Company did not give a toss. Eventually they paid a few quid to stop him going on about it.
He is an ex-REME Sgt and I guess would have the attitude of most ARRSErs. Despite the pain, he was hoping to go sea-fishing with his BiLs recently in Oban.
But the way he was treated was shocking. I won’t name the company, but they were complete bastards.
When people can’t get their usual brand of focaccia, I wish they would just stop and take a moment.

No Boots

Old-Salt
Wasn't it Matthews of Gt Yarmouth who had a driver die in Greece and wouldn't pay to repatriate the body, then expected the driver who was sent out to retrieve the truck to sleep in the cab that he died in.
If true then that is all they will be known for plus I wonder how that helped their recruitment.

DarkBrig

War Hero
No mention of scrapping the hated CPC, one of the main reasons why people are leaving the industry?
The two employers representatives both mentioned how relieved they were that foreign labour is now being allowed back in, but never mentioned that the people they represent should maybe have paid their drivers more? Treated them better?
Will I get a rebate?
We are the most regulated and investigated industry in the country. We have to know transport laws to the same level as a police officer.
We are filmed in the yard, in loading bays, on customers premises and now in our cabs.
Our actions are recorded from the minute we turn up for work to the very second we leave.
Well, start treating us like we are then, and you may not have this situation again.
Just out of interest , why is the CPC such bad thing? I'm in the more you know the better you are , surely 35 hrs over 5 years isn't that onerous?

Last edited:
Will I get a rebate?
You need to be recorded. Even with CCTV you tail gate car drivers, you block traffic in rush hour when three of you all decide to overtake each other (which blocks all three motorway lanes for ten minutes), you shxt on paths, you dump bottles of p1ss out of the windows, with your cab rubbish, you’re too lazy to put your nets over your loads, which causes damage or kills car drivers when stuff falls out. Companies stop you from using their toilets because you leave them looking like Bobby Sands prison cell. You generally don’t give a fxck about car drivers because you’re arrogant pr2cks.
You want sympathy, unlucky

There should be movement windows like Germany and all drivers who drive HGV in the UK should have to do CPC.

Just out of interest , why is the CPC such bad thing? I'm in the more you know the better you are camp, surely 35 hrs over 5 years isn't that onerous?
My last one was in Sept 2019.
I had to use five days of my holiday entitlement and pay £375 to sit in a classroom learning how to do something that I do for a living.
And while I was there, I was classed as being at work, so those hours were added to my working hours even though I had to use my holiday allowance, which is normally part of my rest period.
Those work hours have to be balanced against my rest period over a 17 week average.
Imagine being told by your boss that you can't have any overtime this month because your hours are up.
I can honestly say that I learned nothing new on that course.
Some people will learn from them, and that's great, I'm sure on the next one something may come up that I didn't know about, but it would be more acceptable if they were held on a normal work day and we got paid for attending, rather than pay for the privilege.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CPC?
Certificate of Professional Competence.
Five days in every five years, a driver has to pay to sit a course that confirms that the driver is aware of rules and regs, health and safety, etc.

You want people to sleep.in crappy prime movers to get politicians out of the crap?
Why not get better politicians?
As we’ve seen with most post brexit bad news stories, scratch the surface and you’ll find that the issues aren’t brexit related at all.

Who’s have thought that after an 18 month pandemic where new HGV drivers weren’t being tested, and 18 months of older drivers retiring, there’d be a HGV driver shortage. Combine that with 18 months worth of cash people banking wanting to spend that there’s some shortages.

There’s a wonderful concept in supply chain management known as the bull whip effect.

So, just to recap we’ve had a global issue with back logs at container ports……but the British back log was brexit related.

Now we have a global HGV driver shortage……but the British shortage is brexit related.

I don’t doubt that brexit has had a negative impact. You just need to look at the price increases in natural gas. Fortunately the rest of the world wasn’t involved in brexit so their increases in natural gas prices are down to other economic issues rather than the specific brexit related issues we have to cope with.

You need to be recorded. Even with CCTV you tail gate car drivers, you block traffic in rush hour when three of you all decide to overtake each other (which blocks all three motorway lanes for ten minutes), you shxt on paths, you dump bottles of p1ss out of the windows, with your cab rubbish, you’re too lazy to put your nets over your loads, which causes damage or kills car drivers when stuff falls out. Companies stop you from using their toilets because you leave them looking like Bobby Sands prison cell. You generally don’t give a fxck about car drivers because you’re arrogant pr2cks.
I didn't ask for sympathy, nor do I expect it.
With the exception of sh*tting on paths, I agree that I have seen lorry drivers do all the things that you list, and it annoys me just as much as it annoys you.
However, it isn't done by the majority, you'd certainly know about it if it was.
I have also seen those things done by car drivers, more so than lorry drivers, and I have seen car occupants stopping to sh*t on pathways and verges.
Car drivers not bothering to use roof racks correctly are more likely to lose stuff than we are.
Tailgating?
Car and van drivers are far more likely to tailgate.
Arrogant pr"cks?
You're entitled to your opinion, based on your experience, but your experience isn't with the majority of HGV drivers is it?
That's like me saying all car drivers are wa**ers, when the majority obviously aren't.

Certificate of Professional Competence.
Five days in every five years, a driver has to pay to sit a course that confirms that the driver is aware of rules and regs, health and safety, etc.

Yet my managers CPC doesn't count toward my driver CPC
I still have to sit the tachograph module.....

Feel better for getting that off your chest dear?

Is that seen as onerous?
My response, above, to Dark Brig explains what we think of it.
Maybe not onerous, but certainly pointless as @jagman2 states.
If it was only included as part of the initial HGV training, and not ongoing, I wouldn't have a problem with that.