More Senior Officer Booze and Covid Japes

These say ‘old sweat’ like few other things can. Particularly effective when used to accessorise a pair of gawdy, yet faded, tropical combat trousers. View attachment 477231
Ref: Sartorial issues.
Ally or what, they should bull up nicely.

The Mess in most places is a bar that serves food throughout the day. Some very lonely singleys might regard a sodexo run hotel as their home, most other soldiers dont.
What happens in the mess stays in the mess was just some old bollocks people said so they could act like belters without sanction.
Yes I am well aware of the garrison/transit messes I've seen enough of them and they were pretty ghastly years ago. When my son passed out of Basingborne in 2011 the Sgts mess was halfway decent and put on a very good lunch.
I know Mess life has changed,but standards can be maintained (and i am not talking pink wafer biscuits here), there were belters of course but there still are. Mess discipline was maintained by a quiet word from the senior living in Officer/SNCO. All I will say is if you turn your mess into a glorified Travelodge then you create your own problems. Take away pride and confidentiality then it just becomes a glorified doss house where people pass in the corridor and can't wait to be out of it!
Bit sad really.

that will teach you to outsource the mess to Sodexo civilian contractors.

which, I might suggest, might well be the source of the minimum wage, zero hour contract, treated like crap ‘civilian contractor’ who might have told the press of the boozy antics of the Great and not so good.
Rather think that was the Politicos of the day. Like the prats who flogged the MoD Housing stock on a very dubious financial model. Sadly Defence procurement has been broken for years, big projects need skill sets that most top third of the pink list don't have.

Yes I am well aware of the garrison/transit messes I've seen enough of them and they were pretty ghastly years ago. When my son passed out of Basingborne in 2011 the Sgts mess was halfway decent and put on a very good lunch.
I know Mess life has changed,but standards can be maintained (and i am not talking pink wafer biscuits here), there were belters of course but there still are. Mess discipline was maintained by a quiet word from the senior living in Officer/SNCO. All I will say is if you turn your mess into a glorified Travelodge then you create your own problems. Take away pride and confidentiality then it just becomes a glorified doss house where people pass in the corridor and can't wait to be out of it!
Bit sad really.
Discipline is maintained by punishing people for breaking the rules, not by ignoring them because they have a bit of rank. Especially when those acting the **** are at the top of the food chain.

Whats sad is that people think the rules shouldnt apply to them because they are in a Mess.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Define Mess / Unit as "a household" and all's within the rules.
Simples.
But only for living in members. Those in the patch are not part of the Mess household! :)

Alamo

LE
Define Mess / Unit as "a household" and all's within the rules.
Simples.
Messes have been specifically deemed not to be households, so that if one goes down they don’t all have to isolate.

As an aside, if this had been an RN or RAF mess I can imagine all the frothing and outrage about indiscipline and standards. As it is, and with utter predictability, because he’s a para it’s the grass’ fault and nothing to see here.

Last edited:
HMG will pull them out asap, someones got to bring the harvest in
It's worse than that - my mate's son is in the PWRR TA and will be deployed on Covid testing in Kent on the 1st June, replacing a regular regiment. It has come to a sorry state when we are routinely mobilising and deploying Reserve units because the Regular Army is so under strength. God help us if another crisis blows up (as it has a nasty habit of doing).

As I was told it.
Anybody that is not badged Para Reg is a hat.
Therefore;
7 RHA = Hat
9 Sqn RE = Hat
148 Bty RA = Hat
SAS = Hat (or Superhat) unless parent regt is Para then not Hat.
Rinse and repeat for all the others except Para Reg.
148 Bty RA is not an airborne unit - it is a Commando unit whose duties MAY include parachuting. It's main job is NGS, parachuting is just another way of insertion to do their job.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Messes have been specifically deemed not to be households, so that if one goes down they don’t all have to isolate.

As an aside, if this had been an RN or RAF mess I can imagine all the frothing and outrage about indiscipline and standards. As it is, and with utter predictability, because he’s a para it’s the grass’ fault and nothing to see here.
We were generally supportive of the U-Boat commander who got bubbled for having a dockside BBQ a few weeks ago. You're probably right about the Crabs but they're fair game.

I'm quite happy with the principle of 'we're all in it together' being applied. It's there for the best of reasons and it's a simple enough concept to grasp.

I'm not quite sure why a collection of uniformed piss-artists should be considered a reasonable exception.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
All he has to do, when questioned about the alleged party is say "Dominic Cummings".

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I hope nothing other than a slap on the wrist happens. Ok they broke the current rules but is that a reason to lose years of experience and undoubted skills? Interview without even a smell of coffee, a fine maybe, then move on.

The army will be quite happy to send these officers into life threatening situations (if told by government) but FFS don't have a peeve with your mates!

Sometimes things are blown out of all proportion just because a scumbo journo has heard and printed a non-story.

Euclid

War Hero
To add:

SAS = Hat from Hereford (no exemption until they put on a proper beret and capbadge again)
AAC Pilots = (Regardless berets if they have not transferred fully), they have 'Judas Wings'.

ETA, there were quite a few officers seconded to the Parachute Regiment in the nineties. Those army officers seconded generally got off fairly lightly as they all had to do P Coy in front of their peers and those they would go on to command. They also wore maroon berets and Parachute regiment capbadges. Well done them.

There were also some RM officers seconded - no P Coy, no capbadge, but a maroon beret just as the slop jockeys et all had:

RM = Sea Hats

**stands by for a hat to come up with a hanky wringing story about someone from the Parachute Regiment**
To add:

SAS = Hat from Hereford (no exemption until they put on a proper beret and capbadge again)
AAC Pilots = (Regardless berets if they have not transferred fully), they have 'Judas Wings'.

ETA, there were quite a few officers seconded to the Parachute Regiment in the nineties. Those army officers seconded generally got off fairly lightly as they all had to do P Coy in front of their peers and those they would go on to command. They also wore maroon berets and Parachute regiment capbadges. Well done them.

There were also some RM officers seconded - no P Coy, no capbadge, but a maroon beret just as the slop jockeys et all had:

RM = Sea Hats

**stands by for a hat to come up with a hanky wringing story about someone from the Parachute Regiment**
What about STAB paras?
630BC8CB-6283-446F-B4F2-9D9BF2F252EF.jpeg

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
This guy was a former OC of B Coy 2 PARA and then CO 3 PARA. He climbed a very greasy pool and this couldn’t of happened to a worse bloke. Awful snake!

I hope nothing other than a slap on the wrist happens. Ok they broke the current rules but is that a reason to lose years of experience and undoubted skills? Interview without even a smell of coffee, a fine maybe, then move on.

The army will be quite happy to send these officers into life threatening situations (if told by government) but FFS don't have a peeve with your mates!

Sometimes things are blown out of all proportion just because a scumbo journo has heard and printed a non-story.
Great, send out the message to the lads that they dont have to obey the rules because the Army could send them into life threatening situations.

There are all bally heroes.

Latest Threads