More Senior Officer Booze and Covid Japes

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The best bit is getting para pay. Even when you hardly have to jump.

It’s like they pay you not to jump.

Cheers Army :thumleft: Money in the bank.
RRP (Parachute) 3.76 RRP (Parachute) (P) is paid to qualified military parachutists occupying a tagged post at a rate of £5.75 per day. An enhanced rate is paid to those in Pathfinder Platoon: RRP (High Altitude Parachute) of £10.84 per day.

From the 2019 AFPRB report. At best, £10.84 per day; after tax, not even £250 pcm.

Submariners, aviators, doctors and lawyers must be kicking the door in, looking to join...............

Oyibo

LE
Depends what actions make you think more of a Colonel rather than less.

My source indicates nothing to 'put him up' in anyone's estimation...
If you say so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Submariners, aviators, doctors and lawyers must be kicking the door in, looking to join...............
But consider how much harder they had to try in school ;)

There was a saying that what happened in a mess stayed in the mess and that applied to both Officers and The Sgt's mess.
The Cpl's was somewhat different as in our case they were either killing each other or raiding the bar!
That aside the fact that this story has got into the public domain is not good news and whoever felt it was their civil duty to mention it to the press needs a shovel over the head.
The Mess is a home, and too civilians that's a very alien concept, and incidentally as many of us have been repeatedly told The Regiment is a family!
that will teach you to outsource the mess to Sodexo civilian contractors.

which, I might suggest, might well be the source of the minimum wage, zero hour contract, treated like crap ‘civilian contractor’ who might have told the press of the boozy antics of the Great and not so good.

Anyone not Reg is a hat. Fact.
Just out of interest does that include Booties and SAS and if it does, does it include former para's who are now SAS?

Oyibo

LE
As I was told it.
Anybody that is not badged Para Reg is a hat.
Therefore;
7 RHA = Hat
9 Sqn RE = Hat
148 Bty RA = Hat
SAS = Hat (or Superhat) unless parent regt is Para then not Hat.
Rinse and repeat for all the others except Para Reg.
To add:

SAS = Hat from Hereford (no exemption until they put on a proper beret and capbadge again)
AAC Pilots = (Regardless berets if they have not transferred fully), they have 'Judas Wings'.

ETA, there were quite a few officers seconded to the Parachute Regiment in the nineties. Those army officers seconded generally got off fairly lightly as they all had to do P Coy in front of their peers and those they would go on to command. They also wore maroon berets and Parachute regiment capbadges. Well done them.

There were also some RM officers seconded - no P Coy, no capbadge, but a maroon beret just as the slop jockeys et all had:

RM = Sea Hats

**stands by for a hat to come up with a hanky wringing story about someone from the Parachute Regiment**

Last edited:
If you say so. :rolleyes:
Given the fact I was made aware of what happened a few hours after it occurred by someone working within Bde then yes, I do.

Oyibo

LE
Given the fact I was made aware of what happened a few hours after it occurred by someone working within Bde then yes, I do.
Probably best , as we have glaringly differing accounts from 3rd parties, that we both drop this line of conversation then?

Last edited:
The Colonel's statement would read as follows ...
" I was in my office working till a very late hour , when on my way home I noticed the lights of the officer's mess were on .
I alerted a number of officers to the fact that I believed the bar had been broken into , and fearing for my safety I asked 10 , or it may have been 15 , to accompany me to the bar to investigate .
On arriving at the bar I noticed that the shutter was up and there were a number of unfinished drinks on it , 15 , to be precise .
I passed these drinks in a human chain to the 10 or 15 officers to hold whilst I went to the other side of the bar to bring the shutter down .
I can only conclude that some civilian , probably with a chip on his shoulder about class , the armed forces in general and officers in particular , must have seen us and come to the wrong conclusion and phoned a red top newspaper for a financial reward "

Who needs defence barristers anyway .
Makes perfect sense to me.
Wierdo with coke bottle glasses - 2.jpg

Spot on SS, the paper has them down as Palestine and Malaya.
When did it go from SE Asia to the Malaya bar on the GSM. My grandfather has the GSM (G5) with Malaya and he was out there from 1950.
I think the SE Asia 1945/46 was for the fighting in the Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia) at the end of WW2 when the British took the Japanese surrender there. The Japs had armed all the Idonesian nationlists who kicked off to prevent the Dutch returning. 5 Parachute Brigade saw some heavy fighting and the British had to re-arm the Japanese garrison to help out until the Dutch could take over.

I love the way that some people delight in pointing out inaccuracies that you need to have served for 20-odd years to spot (and frankly most folk don't give a toss about).

Years ago, short-term detached to ze Fatherland, I was sitting in the TV room in the Mess with about another 8 or 9 livers-in, bored senseless of an evening. One of our Capts then does a bit of channel-surfing, and trips across an episode of 'Soldier, Soldier' on one of the catch-up channels.

Well,how we all delighted in his minute-by-minute indignant corrections of how "He-can't-possibly-wear-CS95-trousers-and-a-headover-with-a-Mess-Dress-Jacket!" or "The-SA80-didn't-have-that-bolt-attaching-the-SUSAT-to-the-magazine", or similar inane, pedantic sh**e. I got so jarred off with this that I ended up asking one of the civvy teachers (a bit of a Mess groupie, if I'm honest) if she fancied a drink in the bar, and was conkers deep in her by the time the episode of "Soldier, Soldier" had ended.

Military dramas, media articles and the like are written by people for whom it is but one area they'll cover that day. They won't get all of the minutiae right, nor do they need to.
The reality was that she was a real honker wasn't she!. Otherwise you would have been conkers deep long before sitting in the TV room in the mess with about 8 or 9 livers-in, bored senseless of an evening watching 'Soldier, Soldier'.

In desperation you decided that Mse Ditch Monster Mess groupie was the marginally better option than Captain 'Soldier, Soldier'.

Have you checked that to see if she has been #Me Too ing recently.

RRP (Parachute) 3.76 RRP (Parachute) (P) is paid to qualified military parachutists occupying a tagged post at a rate of £5.75 per day. An enhanced rate is paid to those in Pathfinder Platoon: RRP (High Altitude Parachute) of £10.84 per day.

From the 2019 AFPRB report. At best, £10.84 per day; after tax, not even £250 pcm.

Funny you should mention that but one of the PSI's of 10 Para, who came from 2 Para and fought in the Falklands had been a Submariner before he left and enlisted in the Parachute Regiment. One of the RAF PJI's at 1 PTS at Brize on my TA/Refresher course in 1993 had been a Submariner. We had a TA L/Cpl who had been a Navigator on Tornados.

Funny you should mention that but one of the PSI's of 10 Para, who came from 2 Para and fought in the Falklands had been a Submariner before he left and enlisted in the Parachute Regiment. One of the RAF PJI's at 1 PTS at Brize on my TA/Refresher course in 1993 had been a Submariner. We had a TA L/Cpl who had been a Navigator on Tornados.
Cool story.

The reality was that she was a real honker wasn't she!. Otherwise you would have been conkers deep long before sitting in the TV room in the mess with about 8 or 9 livers-in, bored senseless of an evening watching 'Soldier, Soldier'.

In desperation you decided that Mse Ditch Monster Mess groupie was the marginally better option than Captain 'Soldier, Soldier'.

Have you checked that to see if she has been #Me Too ing recently.

Nope, far from it. Not a bad looker at all, but had been rough-&-tumbled by 3/4 of the garrison if the gossip mill was to be believed.

Getting back to my point, it passed a couple of hours; the alternative being listening to Capt G3 O&D sniping incessantly about how “Maj Tarquin Obsequious-Bumblebee couldn’t POSSIBLY have those medals in that order, because the (fictitious) Bn had done Op Banner before Tosca and after Granby - do you see?”

Latest Threads