More one army concept bollocks

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Mar 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Senior Non Commissioned Officer (SNCO) Mess Dress Uniform Grant

The Services will establish a grant to assist newly-promoted Regular POs/Sgts with the purchase of Mess Dress from 1 Apr 09.

• All Regular Leading Hands (LH)/Cpls promoted to acting or substantive PO/Sgt on or after 1 Apr 09 will receive a one-off financial contribution towards the purchase andupkeep of Mess Dress uniform.

• The grant will apply to Regular Service personnel only.

• The amount of grant will be based on the average cost, by Service, of the required Mess Dress uniform. Rates will vary between Services and, within the Army, by cap-badge.

https://www.armynet.mod.uk/club/navigate2.php?file=/content/news/archive/army_archive/uniformgrant/20090306dib200910sncomessdressgrantu.pdf

2. Wonder why that is.
    Reservists wear thir mess dress quite often as well.

3. Wear no.2's instead !

4. we dont get issued them

5. Never mind that Im regular and Im pissed off about it. When I change to WO1 I have to purchase a brand new set of mess kit out of my own pocket with no assistance. Also I will have to buy a set of service dress myself. In total over £1000 of kit. However sproggy sgt gets a grant and sproggy 2lt gets a grant.
    I agree it is unfair the TA are not involved in this scheme but the regulars (with time served) in the same boat

6. Yeah but you get to shout at people more often..

7. and shout at officers without getting an ear bending :twisted:

8. Is it acceptable to wear no2's in the mess? How long does a new sgt have until he "has" to have a mess dress, does it depend on the rsm ?

9. Always has been acceptable. My first WO2 left after 22 years still wearing his No 2 Dress for mess functions (I was invited to go to it if I agreed not to sit at the table and instead dish out the food and wine).

I imagine with the new grant, you will be expected to wear Mess Kit within a month or so of claiming it.

10. Yep I wore no2's to several functions. I wouldn't buy mess kit as I knew I'd be leaving @ SDR

11. You don't have to purchase officer pattern mess dress. Its only a convention and not a regulation.
    I know a number of WO1s who have no intention of commision so have stuck with their original mess dress.

12. Does purchasing the officer pattern mess dress have the subtle implication that you are open to the idea of applying for a commision? Or is it down to the fact that many WO1's find it difficult fitting into a mess dress they may have owned for 10 years? It would seem a lot of money to pay for an item you may only wear 3/4 times over the course of a couple of years otherwise.

P-T

13. I've never served in either TA or reservists so pardon my ignorance. Are there not any claims/allowances that you are entitled to that regulars are not?

The one that springs to my mind is the fact that when on tour you are compensated for lost earnings from your civvy job. Regulars cannot claim for lost earnings from any second (authorised not moonlighting) employment or any employment wives have to sack in order to look after kids.

That is just one example of how TA/Reservists are looked after differently to Regs, I am sure there are more. We are more of a 'one Army' nowadays than ever but it makes sense there are a few differences in allowances - otherwise you would all be sending your kids to boarding school care of the UK tax payer wouldn't you.

Mess kit? As we all know it can usually be bought cheaply second hand so it is not a real problem.

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

By that logic there is no need for the regulars to have a grant then - especially the WO1s as they can buy 2nd hand.

It has always been iniquitous that officers got a grant and Sgt's didn't, it is still iniquitous that reservists don't get the same grant for providing themselves with the same kit.

As the post says One Army - yeh right!