More on the Farrel SAS Rescue

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Note that Marvin Kalb, the self appointed dean of US journalism says there can be no rules on media activity in combat zones. If this is so, then there should be an express understanding that the privilege of doing that carries with it an express release for the sending nation to have to rescue the guy later. Of course even with that all the bleeding hearts would scream foul if the reporter gets his head lopped off later.

2. It is without a doubt that this idiot journalist put his own desire for fame ahead of the safety of the lives of his interpreter and those who would rescue him. His wrecklessness has cost the life of a British soldier as well as three other innocent parties. His foolish actions forced the hand of ISAf to rescue him as no doubt (as has been said) he would have appeared on TV in an orange boiler suit which would have been bad for him and the mission. Who the hell does he think is is to put others at risk and the mission in jepardy, thus possibly causing more loss of life? Personally I would have said leave him and let him lie in the bed he has made, but unfortunatly as mentioned earlier, that would not have been good for anyone. I hope that this case serves as a lesson to other such foolhardy idiot reporters, but sadly I doubt it will as most journalists are a bunch of self serving fools chasing after fame and fortune.

3. If your rescue missions are going to keep on killing 50% of the hostages it's probably in everybody's interest that you go and play cowboys somewhere else.

As for the journalists going after a story, who else can we rely on for some honest attempt to tell the truth? The military or the politicians?

4. Firstly fcukwit, the other journalist could have been shot by the kidnappers. Every rescue mission is fraught with risk as the kidnappers are on tenderhooks and as in this case, a firefight ensues. To even say such a thing tells me that you are one of those fcukwit hippy types who has no idea about whatever cause he or she is supporting.

Secondly, when have journalists ever told the truth? They twist the story to make the make it more dramatic, heart wrenching or whatever. I personally would trust a journalist about as much as a politician and that means I don't. In particular this one as he was working for the US media and we know how they like to jazz things up. The only way to find the truth is to actually go and see for yourself, and you obviously wouldn't even think about that as you have stated yourself that you trust journalists.

5. Your post implies that there have been a few rescue missions and the average death rate for hostages is 50%. That makes me think that you are a buffoon.

Your post implies that journalists are all very truthfull. That makes me think that you are a buffoon.

Do you enjoy your freedom of speech? Who do you think gives you that freedom? BTW, I think you are a buffoon.

6. This article from the mail has been posted on other threads but it still is the best description of what happeneda nd why and condemns the journalist who puty our soldiers lives at risk for no reason accept his own self glory

7. Don't be a twunt all your life, take a day off every once in a while

8. Stupid boy.

Apply the logic of your first statement to your second.

9. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

As a "self serving fool chasing after fame and fortune" who has written for both US and British media, I can assure you it is the latter that like to "jazz things up a bit."

And while I fully understand that this is an Army-focused site, one key tenet of journalism is using multiple sources whenever possible. However, I have yet to read a single article posted here by journalists on why they take risks. Jon Swain (yes, the Jon Swain who appeared as a character in 'The Killing Fields') wrote a very good piece on this subject in The Times last week, and the NYT's editors have gone on the record as to why Farrel was covering what the paper considered to be a very important story.

Finally, the reason the rescue was launched was not because Farrel was a journalist, but because he was a British citizen. If people believe that journalists are somehow unentitled to government protection due to their profession (which, contrary to much comment here, is not particularly well paid), well....where do you draw the line?

10. I think the point is not that he is a journalist, it is the fact he went into an area and needlessly endangered others. this wasn't the first time he had done this either.

11. I don't disagree with you but the fact is there's good journalists and bad journalists and Farrel has got to be just about the worst journalist out there . To be kidnapped once is a tradgedy . To be kidnapped twice smacks of being a total daft cnut

12. When out there; don't trust the Media. Not even ones with Unit sanction. Don't talk to them. Don't even give them the time of day.

13. Please regale us with some detail on your comment. Have you ever been in anything like a hostage situation, either as the hostage or as the extracting force?

Playing cowboys? Possibly a statement better left for those who venture onto the battlefield against good advice and whose stupidy leads directly to the deaths of innocents? In this case Farrel.

14. I'm not a big fan of 'Look at Me' journalists - but how do think YOU get to hear about what happens in these God-awful places?

Think of every major dreadful event, be it war, famine, genocide, that has happened in the last 80 years. You will no doubt have seen images that will have burnt themselves into your mind.

How do think that these images were obtained? By some poor unarmed sod pointing his camera at them.

Journalists don't just cover wars, indeed although I have been in a few - had near misses and been detained for doing my job in 5 different countries - once by 'terrorists' - covering a Famine in Eastern Africa can be as - if not more, dangerous.

15. I bet you'd talk to Ross Kemp