More on Hezbollas PR skills

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spack_bandit, Aug 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening chaps. I've been reading this board on the quiet for a couple of months now but have refrained from posting until now, mainly because I'm a civilian with no military experience. Bad manners an' all that. If you'd like me to go away say so and I will exit left forthwith.

Anyway, on with the point: Here's an interesting link from someone who has analysed Hezbollah's methods of controlling the Western media to their own advantage. A little more sophisticated than handing out bundles of cash, more like a full scale film set:

"I have called this post, "the director's cut", as that is what it is. The narrative here is of how the combination of Hezbollah's media management and modern photo-journalism has turned the recording of a tragic event into theatre, in the best tradition of Michael Moore.

As best we can, we have pieced together the jumble of evidence which surrounded the production of the iconic photographs which were published around the world, and put them in perspective. Many of the photographs have been used before, some are new to this site and others are video "grabs". But it is not the pictures, per se, that tell the story, so much as their ordering and analysis. Make of this what you will, but I can assure you that you are not supposed to see them in this light.

The "story" - for that is what it is - starts here, in the wreckage of the buiding at Qana which is performing the temporary and unwholesome function of a morgue. It is from here, that the bodies are extracted, the essential props of this theatre. And standing on the left of the frame is one of the two star characters of our story, Mr "White Tee-Shirt". With equal accuracy, though, we could call him Mr Hezbollah, for reasons which will become apparent.

Mr "White Tee-shirt" is billed variously as a "rescuer" and "local resident". We see him in many pictures, very much at the centre of events. He has free, unchallenged access to the collapsed building, even though he is not in uniform and has no apparent formal role. But, although we see a lot of him, there is not a single picture of him digging or moving rubble. More often, he is standing around watching, like he is doing here. But for what?"

It appears, much to my admitted total lack of surprise, that Hezbollah and our media are engaged in a curious symbiotic relationship in which they feed from each other to their mutual advantage. Hezbollah get positive "hearts and minds" coverage - in the West, note, not in Lebanon - and our esteemed friends in the scribbling trade get another top story without having to do anything as degrading as actual research or, god forbid, work.

You have to admire Hezbollah's media savvy (repeating another thread here, I know); rather less admiration for the news whores. Unbiased information my arrse.
  2. Hey spack_bandit, in Qana, when they were pulling all those bodies out, and calling it all civilians, did they pull out the Hezbollah fighters also, and quickly point to them and say, "Hey, they killed our fellow fighters too?"

Your right to put the Hezbollah media mode as would Michael Moore would, because where else did they learn it? From Michael Moore, himself, the master of text-changing for the Almighty dollar. (or so it would seem)

Yes, the many men doing the changing of hands in different scenes in videos and pictures, I have noticed there were quite a few that some of the men AND women were the same. Same faces, different names, different places.

I have seen a few same faces in Beirut, Qana, and a few other villages in Lebanon, and would bet that they were Hezbollah.
  3. Never ever trust anybody who has within their power the ability and will to control the media and public opinion.Over here in Septicstan ,our Jewish brothers reportedly "suffered" a great victory over the brutes of Hizbollah.But judging from all news reports ive read this is apparently not the case.
    Propaganda is a two way street.
  4. I got a friend in Tel Aviv who was about to join up in the IDF when was all happening. He wasn't of age yet, but they grow up quickly, just trying to exist. That's what Israel has been doing the past 58 years in doing battle with other Arab nations and terror groups, just trying to exist.
  5. Distinction on who is trying to exist (Israel or her neighbours) gets blurrier by the day.Israel is not the underdog.Never was never will be.

6. That's strictly a matter of opinion, Devil Dog. Yes, they have been very aggressive, but they have no choice. If you were going to be blockaded by surrounding countries, wouldn't you do something to "break the ice," so to speak? I wouldn't talk, that's for sure. I'd give fair warning, and one warning is all I'd give.